Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article
(06-05-2009, 11:12 AM)lamentabili sane Wrote:
(06-05-2009, 11:01 AM)newschoolman Wrote:
(06-05-2009, 10:51 AM)lamentabili sane Wrote:
Quote:"not even when conscience is invincibly erroneous."

I think what is missing here is the fact that one cannot be invincibly ignorant of the natural law.

I have always thought so -- at least the primary precepts of the natural law insofar as they are hard-wired in man.  For example, there is no such thing as a honest conscience that commands us to worship God by way of human sacrifice or by means manifestly opposed to the basic precepts of the natural law.

All are bound by divine law to enter the Catholic Church.

Also, it appears to me (from what I have read of St. Thomas), that only a correct conscience binds "absolutely and in every circumstrance".

The natural law and positive divine law are distinct.  The general precepts of the natural law are "promulgated" by being hard-wired into our very nature.  The divine law is promulgated very differently and this is the mission of the Church.  Man is morally bound to accept it only after being convinced that it is true.  Again, if he joins the Church thinking it evil then he sins.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article - by newschoolman - 06-05-2009, 11:33 AM