Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article
(06-05-2009, 03:26 AM)GodFirst Wrote:
INPEFESS Wrote:Without grace, our intellect can form an "honestly erroneous conscience" because our intellects are, by their very nature, imperfect. However, a conscience in constant cooperation with grace cannot command something that is contrary to God's own law because a kingdom divided against itself cannot stand - God does not fight Himself with Himself. This "erroneous conscience" is impossible with the grace of God because God would never lead one away from the Truth.
I'd disagree because we have many infallibly canonized Saints that differ with each other on the objective truth. Like during the Great Western Schism in which we had three different claimants to St. Peter's Chair, many Saints of that time supported different claimants (from what I've read anyway). Not to mention that many of the Saints were wrong on the objective truth at times. Like the Angelic Doctor, etc. Saints are human even with Sanctifying Grace. Sanctifying Grace does not prevent your humanity, that is, honest human ignorance. I would think there are many Saints who were very holy but knew just enough of the Faith. I try to remember that Faith and Charity are to be Theological not intellectual. Not that intellectual knowledge of the Faith is wrong or evil, far from it. Knowledge is a gift of the Holy Ghost.

Oh dear...

The fact that people are fallible is irrelevant as it pertains to the cooperation with the grace of God in this particular discussion. This discussion has a simple concept that is being avoided in favor of these little technical spurs that are not directly relevant. We're talking about being led to the Catholic Faith, the one True Church of God, by a conscience in cooperation with the grace of God, not theological uncertainties of the saints - these saints all had the true Catholic Faith. What is being discussed is religious freedom; or that's what is supposed to be being discussed.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article - by INPEFESS - 06-05-2009, 12:13 PM