Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article
(06-08-2009, 09:29 PM)lamentabili sane Wrote:
(06-08-2009, 09:06 PM)newschoolman Wrote:
(06-08-2009, 08:23 PM)lamentabili sane Wrote:
(06-08-2009, 07:48 PM)newschoolman Wrote:
(06-08-2009, 07:24 PM)lamentabili sane Wrote:
(06-08-2009, 06:34 PM)newschoolman Wrote: LS, take a look at the following teaching from Suarez.  Do you find any (apparent) contradiction here?  If so, how is it reconciled? 

Quote:“As regards the other religious practices of unbelievers which go contrary to Christian beliefs but not counter to natural reason, there is no doubt but that the unbelievers, even though they are subjects, may not be forced to abandon them. Rather the Church has to tolerate themThe reason is that such observances do not in themselves violate the natural law, and therefore, the temporal power of even a Christian ruler does not confer a right to forbid them. Such action would be based on the fact that what is being done goes contrary to the Christian Faith, but that is not enough to compel those who are not subject to the spiritual authority of the Church. This opinion is also supported by the fact that such a ban would involve, to some extent, forcing people to accept the Faith; and that is never permitted.” (Suarez, Tract. de Fide Disp. 18 Sect. III, n. 10)

No, I do not see any contradiction here. Evil must be tolerated at times. What does this have to do with conscience?

Again, what we do not agree on is what conscience actually is. This has been pointed out to you several times and you have ignored it.

I have never spoken about "what conscience actually is" --  other than to assert the duty and corresponding right of a certain conscience -- and providing sources as reference.  If I "ignore" a quote provided by you it should not be interpreted as disagreement with the quote.  Again, if I have contradicted anything then the burden falls to you to demonstrate it.   

What you think is conscience is a defective understanding of conscience. If you want to say, "assert the duty and corresponding right of a certain conscience" we must understand what conscience actually is...you think this is self-evident, I presume?

What specifically have I said that is "defective" in connection with conscience?

You are attributing to conscience what is not really conscience.  Can you tell us what you think conscience is (and where you learned it)?

Specifically, what have I attributed to conscience that does not belong to it?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Bishop Sanborn responds to the "rupture theology" article - by newschoolman - 06-08-2009, 09:41 PM