Teh Cheezburger Thred!
Deathtrap Floors, Great Fries: BurgerQuest 09 Continues

Fashioning ourselves amateur food aficionados and restaurant reviewers, we have declared Summer 09 as the Official Summer of the Burger, and will stop at nothing to exhaust all possible burger joints within a reasonable drive.  (Previous years' Quests included Crab Cakes and Steaks.  We work hard, but it's our 'duty.')

Finally, PB and Unworthy Kenshin made it to Five Guys!

We went on a Sunday afternoon, and while there was plenty of parking, there was not a single available table in sight, causing us to check the first Minus in our Official Burger Reviewer Plus and Minus Column, which, on the whole, came out pretty even.

The biggest minus of all, however, was the Death Trap Pre-Greased Slate Floor.  Each step was an adventure in physics gone horribly wrong.

"Is this floor slippery or is it just my shoes?" I asked PB.

"No.  Floor's a deathtrap."

Five Guys features free toppings, and burgers that come in two sizes.  I got the regular (there's a smaller one) and PB got a hot dog.

Let's get right down to business with the pluses and minuses:

Plus: Free toppings, great Cajun and regular fries that come in styrofoam cups, a billion kinds of free toppings, and regular, cheez, cheez 'n' bacon, and two sizes of juicy, fairly tasty burgers, good prices, huge portions.

One order of 'regular' fries could feed four people who eat like us.  They also have a large size.  This one shudders to think.

Minus: Deathtrap floor, way too few tables, not all that fast service, a bit of a noisy zoo, squishy buns that dissolve on contact, onions that come in huge slippery inconvenient chunks (as opposed to finely chopped or nice stable rings), NO available sauerkraut whatever, and hot dogs that were undistinguished and generic-tasting.

We will be eating leftovers for the next few days. 

Comparing Five Guys to Bobby Flay's, I have to say Flay's wins on all fronts: burger taste and presentation, bun composition, amount and comfort of seating, and atmosphere.  And not a death-trap floor in sight.

Still to come: a couple of national chains, and more local dives.  ;D
Well, in my opinion the only way to get a good burger is to grill it at home.  But one thing I do love about Five Guys is the free peanuts.
Steak 'n Shake.  Love their shoestring fries.  They go great with their shakes.

Their burgers aren't half bad, either.
(05-31-2009, 06:16 PM)cgraye Wrote: Well, in my opinion the only way to get a good burger is to grill it at home.  But one thing I do love about Five Guys is the free peanuts.

I saw them, but it was such a zoo I didn't even get any!  :(

And then there was the foo-foo 'gourmet' burger joint that smelled of mildew.  We walked out without ordering.  The things we do for our food quests...
Five Guys. Absolutely. Our local one is clean as a whistle and the buns are perfect. I will admit, you do have to wait awhile for your order--sometimes. Love the malt vinegar! And we do get the large fries for our family of 6, but we've all switched to the little burgers. The regular are just an extra expense, IMO.

Lately my crew has been voting for Bob Evans burgers. This is not a joke. Bob Evans. Go figure.
I've always preferred Fuddrucker's because the burgers are always juicy and the rolls have a sweetness that really complements the burger.  Plus, the name always gives me a free chuckle... :)
(06-01-2009, 07:36 AM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: Five Guys. Absolutely. Our local one is clean as a whistle and the buns are perfect. I will admit, you do have to wait awhile for your order--sometimes. Love the malt vinegar! And we do get the large fries for our family of 6, but we've all switched to the little burgers. The regular are just an extra expense, IMO.

Lately my crew has been voting for Bob Evans burgers. This is not a joke. Bob Evans. Go figure.

Yeah, I ordered the regular burger and found it way too big.  Wonder if there's a Bob Evans around here.

I don't think Flay's has gone national yet but it's great fun.
My brother infuses aged white cheddar into burger meat for the tastiest bearpaw-sized burger you will ever eat. :)
When I saw the thread title, this is what I thought....

[Image: funny-pictures-cat-prays-for-bread-with-...burger.jpg]
(06-01-2009, 02:56 PM)Melita Wrote: When I saw the thread title, this is what I thought....

[Image: funny-pictures-cat-prays-for-bread-with-...burger.jpg]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: