What Did You Crave When Pregnant?
(07-28-2009, 07:48 PM)Walty Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 05:40 AM)James02 Wrote: Wife craved cold, cubed cantalope.  It was amazing how much of it she ate.  I was also sent out at 2 a.m. to get a chocolate ice cream bar once.  And one time she went to the store and bought an angel food cake and ate it in the parking lot.

Holy crap.  That's nuts.  No offense.

I fear marriage because of The Pregnant Wife.

Oh, come on Walty, if you think about what's happening to and inside The Pregnant Wife's body, you'll surely agree that it's far crazier than her cravings. And if you'd ever had that morning sickness and pregnancy exhaustion, you'd agree that a pregnant woman should eat whatever is going to make her feel better -- within reason, of course.

The cravings for cold canteloupe and the chocolate ice cream bar make a lot of sense to me. I can also see how an angel food cake could be a must-have at that time.
(07-29-2009, 09:37 AM)Satori Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 07:48 PM)Walty Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 05:40 AM)James02 Wrote: Wife craved cold, cubed cantalope.  It was amazing how much of it she ate.  I was also sent out at 2 a.m. to get a chocolate ice cream bar once.  And one time she went to the store and bought an angel food cake and ate it in the parking lot.

Holy crap.  That's nuts.  No offense.

I fear marriage because of The Pregnant Wife.

Oh, come on Walty, if you think about what's happening to and inside The Pregnant Wife's body, you'll surely agree that it's far crazier than her cravings. And if you'd ever had that morning sickness and pregnancy exhaustion, you'd agree that a pregnant woman should eat whatever is going to make her feel better -- within reason, of course.

The cravings for cold canteloupe and the chocolate ice cream bar make a lot of sense to me. I can also see how an angel food cake could be a must-have at that time.

Hey, I feel bad for what women have to go through with all that.  I really do.  I mean, who wants to turn into a raging, epically emotional, food machine?

BUT, it doesn't make it anymore awesome on the guy's end.  This is a 22 year old single guy talking though so maybe I have more "growing up" to do.  Likely.  If I had a wife and she was pregnant I'd give her whatever she wants, but she'd have to buy her own Haribo.
Walty Wrote:BUT, it doesn't make it anymore awesome on the guy's end.  This is a 22 year old single guy talking though so maybe I have more "growing up" to do.
Women will never make sense to a man.  God made us attracted to it like a moth to a flame.  But once you see your wife holding your baby for the first time, it will make a lot more sense.  A pregnant wife and a new baby are very joyous times.  And running out at 2 a.m. is part of the fun.
Quote: You can always look at it as a fair trade. You both become pregnant- your wife pukes her guts out and has to go through labor, you go on midnight runs for ice cream. Doesn't sound so bad to me.

Nope, it's not a fair trade.  You left out delivery.  While your wife gets to be in bed during the whole affair, with her fluffy pillow, and the nurses running around waiting on her, you have to stand there for hours.  Your knees start to ache.  You think maybe your wife might trade for a few minute?  Let you get a break in the soft bed for a few minutes?  Nope, you have to stand there for hours.  And then there's the nails digging into your hand.  ;D
(07-30-2009, 02:01 AM)James02 Wrote:
Quote: You can always look at it as a fair trade. You both become pregnant- your wife pukes her guts out and has to go through labor, you go on midnight runs for ice cream. Doesn't sound so bad to me.

Nope, it's not a fair trade.  You left out delivery.  While your wife gets to be in bed during the whole affair, with her fluffy pillow, and the nurses running around waiting on her, you have to stand there for hours.  Your knees start to ache.  You think maybe your wife might trade for a few minute?  Let you get a break in the soft bed for a few minutes?  Nope, you have to stand there for hours.  And then there's the nails digging into your hand.   ;D

You forgot the part where the wife  is busy pushing a 6+ pound infant through her *ahem*  ;D
(07-30-2009, 02:33 AM)Mrs_Spock Wrote:

Nope, it's not a fair trade.  You left out delivery.  While your wife gets to be in bed during the whole affair, with her fluffy pillow, and the nurses running around waiting on her, you have to stand there for hours.  Your knees start to ache.  You think maybe your wife might trade for a few minute?  Let you get a break in the soft bed for a few minutes?  Nope, you have to stand there for hours.  And then there's the nails digging into your hand.  ;D

You forgot the part where the wife  is busy pushing a 6+ pound infant through her *ahem*  ;D

We all owe you a fishy point per pound of baby for pointing this out.  ;)

Nope, it's not a fair trade.  You left out delivery.  While your wife gets to be in bed during the whole affair, with her fluffy pillow, and the nurses running around waiting on her, you have to stand there for hours.  Your knees start to ache.  You think maybe your wife might trade for a few minute?  Let you get a break in the soft bed for a few minutes?  Nope, you have to stand there for hours.  And then there's the nails digging into your hand.   ;D

:laughing:  Reminds me of Mom telling about how Dad acted when she went into labor with me.  First babies are supposed to take a looooong time, so he sat on the bed slowly buttoning his shirt, and jokingly asked her to sew a button on it for him when he realized one was missing.  Then he took his time finding another shirt.  Then he joked that he would hit every pothole on the way to the hospital, and he actually parked at the far corner of the parking lot, informing her that they would make her walk once she got there, anyway. 

I was born about ten minutes later. There wasn't time for the doctor to make it there, so Dad's sister (a nurse) delivered me.  Dad claimed to feel very guilty, though it's suspect given how hard he laughed every time it came up.
(07-30-2009, 03:06 PM)goggleeyes Wrote:

:laughing:  Reminds me of Mom telling about how Dad acted when she went into labor with me.  First babies are supposed to take a looooong time, so he sat on the bed slowly buttoning his shirt, and jokingly asked her to sew a button on it for him when he realized one was missing.  Then he took his time finding another shirt.  Then he joked that he would hit every pothole on the way to the hospital, and he actually parked at the far corner of the parking lot, informing her that they would make her walk once she got there, anyway. 

I was born about ten minutes later. There wasn't time for the doctor to make it there, so Dad's sister (a nurse) delivered me.  Dad claimed to feel very guilty, though it's suspect given how hard he laughed every time it came up.

:rofl:

That's a great story.  How did your mother not kill him?  I would think (given the way mooovies portray it...) she'd be rather frantic?    :shrug:

If you ask me, I'd rather do errand-running for 9 months, and drive her to the hospital than have to go through all that.  :laughing:

I guess that's what you get for making the poor ol' man eat the apple....  ;D
:tomatoes:
(07-30-2009, 03:11 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:

That's a great story.  How did your mother not kill him?  I would think (given the way mooovies portray it...) she'd be rather frantic?    :shrug:

If you ask me, I'd rather do errand-running for 9 months, and drive her to the hospital than have to go through all that.   :laughing:

I guess that's what you get for making the poor ol' man eat the apple....   ;D

She actually thought she was being a big wimp, because it really hurt and she didn't know how she'd handle hard labor if that was the early stages.  (Mom has an insanely high threshold for pain.)  She just glared at him and rolled her eyes at his "clever" jokes. And cried over being made to walk across the parking lot.  A lot nicer than I'd have been, that's for sure.
(07-30-2009, 05:03 PM)goggleeyes Wrote:
(07-30-2009, 03:11 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:

If you ask me, I'd rather do errand-running for 9 months, and drive her to the hospital than have to go through all that.   :laughing:

I guess that's what you get for making the poor ol' man eat the apple....   ;D

She actually thought she was being a big wimp, because it really hurt and she didn't know how she'd handle hard labor if that was the early stages.  (Mom has an insanely high threshold for pain.)  She just glared at him and rolled her eyes at his "clever" jokes. And cried over being made to walk across the parking lot.  A lot nicer than I'd have been, that's for sure.

Ahhh, ok.  That's kinda funny.  I can see why your father laughs everytime.  :laughing:  ;)