Pepsi Co.
(06-19-2009, 02:12 PM)HolySoulsinPurgatory Wrote:
(06-06-2009, 03:05 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: I don't drink Pepsi (unless it's the only option) because they're prottys.

Pepsi Cola was so named because it's an anagram of Episcopal.

Heretic soda.

No it was named pepsi because it was originally touted as a treatment for dyspepsia.  I've read this in multiple places, and we studied it in business school.

That's what they want you to think.

:sneaky:
An RC and a moonpie for breakfast is a cultural icon of the the poor in the old south before 1960. RC was the first bottler with 16 oz. bottles and in Chicago nearly put Coke and Pepsi out of business. They charged $0.49/ 6pack of bottles, and then came out with an eight pack to see if they could eliminate the competition.
tim
(06-19-2009, 03:54 PM)timoose Wrote: An RC and a moonpie for breakfast is a cultural icon of the the poor in the old south before 1960.

Not knowing what a moonpie was, I had a look on Google... turns out they're a lot like Wagon Wheels, which is what we have (and is sold in the UK and Australia). They're delicious... and funny  ;D

(06-19-2009, 03:54 PM)timoose Wrote: An RC and a moonpie for breakfast is a cultural icon of the the poor in the old south before 1960. RC was the first bottler with 16 oz. bottles and in Chicago nearly put Coke and Pepsi out of business. They charged $0.49/ 6pack of bottles, and then came out with an eight pack to see if they could eliminate the competition.
tim

I don't know about the specifics your cite, but I'll take your word for it. I do know that it's very, very plausible. The southern diet is absolutely awful (spoken as a southerner migrant to California) for you. It's no wonder the obesity is so rampant there.

The food can be wonderful, and I think people think Cajun or Soul Food and other cooked dishes are the 'bad stuff,' but my experience was the 'bad stuff' growing up in the south was the incredible overuse of fast food(s), and processed 'snacks' (Little Debbies, Hostess stuff, Moonpies, etc) and soda. Lots and lots of sugar, saturated fat and empty carbs-- hamhock, beans, greens, peach cobbler, all of that would be 100 times better than the processed garbage that makes up the poor southerner diet. At least there's vitamins in pork, greens, beans, etc. Eating the processed snacks and that kind of stuff though is just so, so much more prevalent and frequent there than you can imagine. (Disclaimer, I do not consider Texas the 'South', just for clarification)