Italian Ice
(06-07-2009, 07:54 PM)libby Wrote: dagnabit....you're the Hungryman Dinner of the Fisheaters world.

[snip]
:laughing: Sorry, Doc, but that was a good one, you have to admit she has a way with words.
(06-08-2009, 04:09 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote:
(06-07-2009, 07:54 PM)libby Wrote: dagnabit....you're the Hungryman Dinner of the Fisheaters world.

[snip]
:laughing: Sorry, Doc, but that was a good one, you have to admit she has a way with words.

:laughing:

If libby were a frozen dinner:
[Image: smart+one+lasagna.jpg]
you've both been fishied, and credited for fixing my cruddy day.

:)
(06-08-2009, 04:00 PM)libby Wrote:
(06-08-2009, 01:40 PM)Magnificat Wrote: It's here.
It's key lime.
It's gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

tell me everything.....how did you do it?

real key limes?

did you use a fork?

how good?

;)

I asked Jesús.  Not the Son of God, but my friend's cousin - he's in culinary school.  I got some key lime juice (Nelly & Joe's) and a bag of key limes.  I peeled what seemed like hundreds of them and put them into a blender with the key lime juice.  I didn't add any sugar, just a little extra water because it was toooo stong.  Then I put the blender thingy in the freezer and took it out every half hour and whizzed it around a little.  When it was the consistency of Slurpee I added quartered key limes - with peel - then poured it all into small tupperware containers.  The true test will come tomorrow when I take one out and defrost it a little - Jesús didn't know how big those ice crystals going to get overnight because he always serves it the same day.  That's probably when the fork is going to come into it, so thanks for that tip.  If it works, I'm next making strawberry lemonade flavored, or perhaps watermelon. 
(06-08-2009, 06:40 PM)Magnificat Wrote:
(06-08-2009, 04:00 PM)libby Wrote:
It's key lime.

tell me everything.....how did you do it?

real key limes?

did you use a fork?

how good?

;)

I asked Jesús.  Not the Son of God, but my friend's cousin - he's in culinary school.  I got some key lime juice (Nelly & Joe's) and a bag of key limes.  I peeled what seemed like hundreds of them and put them into a blender with the key lime juice.  I didn't add any sugar, just a little extra water because it was toooo stong.  Then I put the blender thingy in the freezer and took it out every half hour and whizzed it around a little.   When it was the consistency of Slurpee I added quartered key limes - with peel - then poured it all into small tupperware containers.  The true test will come tomorrow when I take one out and defrost it a little - Jesús didn't know how big those ice crystals going to get overnight because he always serves it the same day.   That's probably when the fork is going to come into it, so thanks for that tip.   If it works, I'm next making strawberry lemonade flavored, or perhaps watermelon. 

Jesus is a son of God too, LOL......

Did you use the Nelly and Joe's mix stuff that's sweet? or the N& J stuff that's straight juice?

a BLENDER. What a great idea. :doh: The ice crystals don't get big if you make sure it doesn't melt.

I'm going to make an ice tomorrow...thanks Magnificat.

:)
It's key lime.

I want some!
Libby, I bought the less expensive N&J because I wasn't sure that it would work.  Have you tried it?

It's the height of backyard mango season, so that is the flavor of the week.  I might make a passionfruit sauce to pour over it.  Next it's either lychee or passion fruit, depending upon what the neighbors are giving away!
(06-07-2009, 07:47 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Italian ice is the Chik Fil A of the frozen treat world.

Italian ice must be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper yummy then because Chick-fil-A rocks! :)
This sounds a lot like Granita... in which case it's Sicilian, not Italian!
(06-15-2009, 12:28 PM)Magnificat Wrote: Libby, I bought the less expensive N&J because I wasn't sure that it would work.  Have you tried it?

It's the height of backyard mango season, so that is the flavor of the week.  I might make a passionfruit sauce to pour over it.  Next it's either lychee or passion fruit, depending upon what the neighbors are giving away!

Magnificat, I just saw this -

I've used the cheaper stuff for key lime pie, but not Italian ice.

Man, you're lucky... all that fruit! But our blueberries should turn blue any second now.