Life is good - More SSPX priests
(06-09-2009, 12:55 AM)Baskerville Wrote:
(06-08-2009, 08:14 PM)augusztina Wrote: I don't understand the function of SSPX considering current Liturgical practices. 
They celebrate the true Mass.

What is it they want at this point :Rome to be Catholic again.

Why do they continue to ordain Priests illicitly: Because there is a crisis and the Church needs Priests that arent gay and are solidly Orthodox.

Good answer!!!
It's a reasonable question that deserves a reasonable response.
The future split within the sspx will come from attitudes such as above.
Swallow the pride.
(06-08-2009, 08:14 PM)augusztina Wrote: I don't understand the function of SSPX considering current Liturgical practices.  What is it that they want at this point?  Why do they continue to illicitly ordain priests? 

I'm just asking.

What current Liturgical practices are you referring to?
(06-09-2009, 06:23 AM)Orville_B_Croft Wrote: It's a reasonable question that deserves a reasonable response.
Swallow the pride.

Precisely.

What precisely is it that currently requires the SSPX to operate outside the norms of canon law?

I see no reason why they would not be permitted to operate entirely independently of the local bishops, directly answerable to the Pope, exclusively using the old rites, and on a doctrinal basis which Archbishop Lefebvre himself was prepared to accept as far back as 1988.

One cannot operate unlawfully just because one likes it that way.

I suspect many in the SSPX want to be independent of Rome forever; to them Rome is the Scarlet Woman, the Whore of Babylon, they enjoy the status quo, and will never, ever, tolerate any regularisation, ever.

(06-09-2009, 10:11 AM)tridentinist Wrote: I suspect many in the SSPX want to be independent of Rome forever; to them Rome is the Scarlet Woman, the Whore of Babylon, they enjoy the status quo, and will never, ever, tolerate any regularisation, ever.

Firstly, I would like to say that I agree with you in that some in the SSPX are probably SV.

Quote:I see no reason why they would not be permitted to operate entirely independently of the local bishops, directly answerable to the Pope, exclusively using the old rites, and on a doctrinal basis which Archbishop Lefebvre himself was prepared to accept as far back as 1988.

Do you realize that such an arrangement takes time to hammer out?  In the mean time it makes sense to keep ordaining priests.  Especially if Roger Cardinal Mahoney becomes the next pontiff and a deal falls through.  The ordinations have at least the tacit approval of Rome; namely, they were moved from Germany to Econe (which showed a new respect for the German Ordinary's jurisdiction).  As far as I know, the Econe ordinations have not drawn the ire of the ordinary or the Holy See; and the Cardinal is rumored to be planning a visit to the Seminary.
(06-09-2009, 06:23 AM)Orville_B_Croft Wrote: It's a reasonable question that deserves a reasonable response.
Swallow the pride.

It's not pride in the above case but anger.  But you r point still stands!
(06-09-2009, 12:52 PM)Scipio_a Wrote:
Swallow the pride.

It's not pride in the above case but anger.  But you r point still stands!
No need to be angry either though mate. It's a pretty good time to be a Catholic!! Sure the battle will continue to be rough but in 2 short years after the MP look at how far we have come! Imagine what it'll be like in another two years with the separates within the sspx going or gone (and trust me, there are a few) and MORE priests saying the TLM.

But I too question why, after the Pope wrote in his letter to his Bishops, the SSPX don't, out of respect, hold off on any ordinations until everything is cleared up. It would be a great message to send to the whole fraternity and especially the newly ordained and also a great act of humility from the sspx as a whole.

(06-09-2009, 04:08 PM)Orville_B_Croft Wrote: No need to be angry either though mate. It's a pretty good time to be a Catholic!! Sure the battle will continue to be rough but in 2 short years after the MP look at how far we have come! Imagine what it'll be like in another two years with the separates within the sspx going or gone (and trust me, there are a few) and MORE priests saying the TLM.

But I too question why, after the Pope wrote in his letter to his Bishops, the SSPX don't, out of respect, hold off on any ordinations until everything is cleared up. It would be a great message to send to the whole fraternity and especially the newly ordained and also a great act of humility from the sspx as a whole.

No, he does have a justifiable anger!  You need to see his other thread.

He over stated it because he's young.  But like I said, your point still stands.
=====================================================
There is no reason for the SSPX to hold off on ordinations, because nothing has changed.  They cannot tell the men that have been working hard to get to the point of becoming a priest, "oh we're sorry, the Pope wrote us a letter, you'll just have to wait until everything gets straightened out."

The only reason the Society exists at all is to create priest who give the TLM.  That's it.  So that's why they keep going.