Right Frame of Mind When Doing Penance?
Just to be clear I am referring to instances outside the sacramental context. To be blunt, I've screwed up. I want to "make it up to God" and get a little much-needed self-discipline . The only penance I've done in the past is sleeping on the floor and cold showers during Lent. Nothing outside of that season. How should I go about this in a way that will accomplish something meaningful. What should I be thinking and praying as I go about penance? Does anyone have any specific acts of penance that helped them? Any general advice on the subject?

Pax Vobiscum

Your Brother in Christ
BrevisVir
(06-09-2009, 08:37 PM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: Just to be clear I am referring to instances outside the sacramental context. To be blunt, I've screwed up. I want to "make it up to God" and get a little much-needed self-discipline . The only penance I've done in the past is sleeping on the floor and cold showers during Lent. Nothing outside of that season. How should I go about this in a way that will accomplish something meaningful. What should I be thinking and praying as I go about penance? Does anyone have any specific acts of penance that helped them? Any general advice on the subject?

Pax Vobiscum

Your Brother in Christ
BrevisVir

You could try abstaining or partially abstaining from meat on Wednesdays or on Saturdays, the two days on which, besides Friday (when abstinence is still obligatory during Lent, and at least some sort of penance is obligatory even outside of Lent), peance was traditionally done. I have found doing this very beneficial.
I accidently posted twice. My apologies.
I would discuss any 'additional' penances with your confessor/ spiritual director before undertaking them if I were you, but the additional abstinence sounds like a good idea.
Fasting, forgoing TV/internet/radio, or something positive, like committing to an hour of Bible or Catechism (or so on,) reading per day, etc., would be my idea, but anything particularly "harsh," especially physically, should really be done with the guidance of a spiritual director.
I agree with Jovan. Discuss it with a good traditional priest.