What are you reading right now?
Currently reading Parish Priest by Douglas Brinkley and Julie Fenster. It is a biography on Fr. Michael McGivney (founder of KoC). Pretty interesting about reading about the Church during the19th century America.

Also recently read Trianon by Elena Maria Vidal. A more accurate book on Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI. Very good, wanted to cry on several parts. The Long fuse by Don Cook. Suppose to be the tome on the British point of view on the War for American Independence, but outside of the details of going ons at Parliament, nothing much new. Petain by Charles Williams is a biography on the Le Maréchal and was pretty good. Mr. Williams is a UK Labour politician, so he is a little biased, but I think he did well.
A book called 'Cuaresma', which details, explores, and attempts to explain the Holy Week rituals of the Philippines. Really interesting, and some nice pictures, too.
(06-11-2009, 03:22 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote: Also recently read Trianon by Elena Maria Vidal.

Do you follow her blog? It's quite good.
(06-11-2009, 04:37 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(06-11-2009, 03:22 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote: Also recently read Trianon by Elena Maria Vidal.

Do you follow her blog? It's quite good.

Yes, I check it out every few days.
[Image: 51p.jpg]

Next up (maybe):
How to Read Chinese Poetry: A Guided Anthology by Zong-qi Cai
American Lightning - Howard Blum
Two for the Money - Max Allan Collins (I love the "Hard Case Crime" series of paperbacks....pure hard-boiled detective fiction, un-PC, sheer escapism......any other fans out there?)
The Great Wall - John Man

Also still in the midst of Shelby Foote's Civil War.....need to go to the library for vol. III; also Churchill's Marlborough: His Life and Times...need vol. IV.
I just started a new book and haven't gotten past the (first of three) prefaces.  The Lonely Crowd.  I read about it somewhere as a critique of middle-class consumer capitalism and what it does to the sense of individuality or tradition... what can I say?  I'm a sucker to an interesting review.  The book was written in the 1950's and inspired a lot of the counter-cultural rebellion of the 60's (seeming to inspire more individuality than tradition, I suppose), but it's never really gone out of print.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lonely_Crowd

It's probably on the required reading list for a Sociology 101 class somewhere.
The Sermons of St. Francis de Sales on Our Lady and the Baltimore Catechism No. 4.
(06-10-2009, 10:41 PM)Domini Canis Wrote: Reading Chesterton's biography of St. Thomas Aquinas.

Hey, that one's next on my stack!  At the moment, I'm going back and forth between something called Saints Behaving Badly  (not at all deep, but enjoyable enough, and educational for someone who learned almost nothing about the saints growing up) and a book on bridge (the card game).  I'm also listening to Chesterton's Father Brown stories.  They're good, but the guy reads them so slowly my mind keeps wandering every time he hits a comma.  I finally realized I could set the speed to 'fast', which makes his voice a little Chipmunky, but it still helps.

I should make a list of all the Catholic-related books at my library and post it here so people could share opinions on them.  Unfortunately, they don't carry any of the books on the FE books page.  Trying to find something good without researching it first is tough, since it could be stuck between a book promoting wymyn priests and one decrying the arch-conservatism of our recent popes.  I'm not even in a liberal town by any means, but the pickings seem pretty slim for Tradition-supporting literature, at least in the religion section.  There's far more dissenting stuff.
(06-10-2009, 09:49 PM)CatholicThurifer Wrote: A book by Terry Pratchett.  LOL

Which one?? I've had a massive 'Wyrd Sisters' craving over the past few days...

Also, I'm planning to start 'Jesus through the centuries/Mary through the centuries', by Jaroslav Pelikan. Anybody heard of this or read it?