What are you reading right now?
I'm waffling my way through Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel (fascinating but not exactly a beach read) and savoring Paul Claudel's I Believe in God, and trying to decide what fiction to tackle next. The pickings are slim, but I'll probably never force myself through Philip Roth's Everyman if I don't hold off on the library and bookstore trips until I have finished it...
(06-10-2009, 07:22 PM)Joamy Wrote: Just going to start Master & Commander. 

Ok, so I ditched Master & Commander for now.  I'm reading The Good Shepherd's Fold  by Anne Cawley Boardman
(06-15-2009, 09:21 PM)flannerywannabe Wrote: I'm ... savoring Paul Claudel's I Believe in God

I Believe in God is definitely a work to savor. The passages compiled in the final section are surely among the most sublime ever penned regarding the condition of our souls in the afterlife. Part of my signature comes from that book. Wink
(06-15-2009, 12:47 PM)Mhoram Wrote: At the moment, I'm going back and forth between something called Saints Behaving Badly  (not at all deep, but enjoyable enough, and educational for someone who learned almost nothing about the saints growing up)

Ha! I've read that one! It's one of the, maybe, 30-35 titles on Catholicism available at our local library (and that's counting the multiple copies of Hitler's Pope and Papal Sin).
Reading a book on the history of rock, a book on the development of the calendar, and a book on the crusades.
Well, I finished The Serpent's Tale and I was much more impressed with the first book than with the sequel.  I just finished Peter Kreeft's Socrates meets Machiavelli which was excellent, though I do question some of Dr. Kreeft's assumptions regarding Machiavelli.  I'll be starting Peter Brown's biography of Augustine once I finish the latest issue of First Things.

God, I love having summers off... ;D
(06-10-2009, 10:41 PM)Domini Canis Wrote: Reading Chesterton's biography of St. Thomas Aquinas.
Have you read his biography on Francis?  Ignatius puts out a great edition with both works in one book.
The Glorious Cause by Jeff Shaara , Amish Society by John Hostetler and The biography of St. Kevin
(06-16-2009, 01:12 PM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(06-10-2009, 10:41 PM)Domini Canis Wrote: Reading Chesterton's biography of St. Thomas Aquinas.
Have you read his biography on Francis?  Ignatius puts out a great edition with both works in one book.

Haha. That's the exact book I'm reading! My wife gave it to me last Christmas.
I'm thumbing through a copy of Mary, My Hope borrowed from the honor library at the adoration chapel, or should that be Adoration Chapel?  Huh?  I've also been reading the last few PD James Dalgliesh mysteries - they've become repetitive, but I must read them all.  No, don't ask.  Crazy  As for poetry, it's Eliot again. 
Reading 'A History of Private Life', volume 2. Excellent work, basically a compilation of information about the way Medievals lived. Lavishly illustrated, o'course.

And I've started re-reading Mina Loy, mostly because she's been so ignored her work is still fresh. I used to love reading Modernist stuff, but after getting it critiqued to you the holes (chasms...) become too glaring to ignore. Still, Prufrock is sweetness.