What are you reading right now?
(06-17-2009, 11:29 AM)Tobias Wrote:
(06-17-2009, 10:45 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [quote='Tobias' pid='389984' dateline='1245249129']
I'm reading Beowulf. Owl

A translation or original?

[/quote

A translation.  I wouldn't know what to do with an original. Dunce

Is it a verse translation or a prose translation?  E. Talbot Donaldson's prose translation is my personal favorite, but Burton Rafael has a great verse translation.
(06-17-2009, 11:40 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(06-17-2009, 10:45 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [quote='Tobias' pid='389984' dateline='1245249129']
I'm reading Beowulf. Owl

[/quote

Is it a verse translation or a prose translation?  E. Talbot Donaldson's prose translation is my personal favorite, but Burton Rafael has a great verse translation.

I have both, but I prefer a prose translation.  Off the top of my head, I think this version was translated by Michael Wright.
I'm sorry, but I'm having a slight problem figuring out the quote mechanism.  I'll get it soon enough. Bambino
I finished The Last Superstition and have just started The Jewish Revolutionary Spirit by E. Michael Jones.  It's 1200 pages so it should keep me busy for awhile.  But, I'm also expecting The Day Without Yesterday: LeMaitre, Einstein and the Birth of Modern Cosmology from the library any day now so I may be double-dipping.  I love summer.
I'm going to read "Why Must I Suffer?"  There's one thing I hate about pain; it hurts.
(06-17-2009, 11:54 AM)Tobias Wrote: I'm sorry, but I'm having a slight problem figuring out the quote mechanism.  I'll get it soon enough. Bambino

All quotes are in tags. A tag is a set of text to encompass text.

A tag is formed with the general scheme:

[ tag ]
Stuff in the tag
[ / tag ]

Spaces are there to prevent it from being seen as an actual tag.

[ quote ]
This is a quote.
[ / quote ]

Remove spaces:

Quote:This is a quote

Tags also have attributes, but those aren't important really for general use.
(06-17-2009, 10:45 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-17-2009, 10:32 AM)Tobias Wrote: I'm reading Beowulf. Owl

(I fixed quote, added a ] to the tag. An unclosed tag is continued rather indefinately)

For the original, you read it. It works the same way Smile

Understanding it requires studying the language. I don't really know Anglo-Saxon well enough to read a book in it either. I do like to read Middle English texts in the original.
My, my, all these erudite people!  We should have a thread about "guilty pleasures: the books we are ashamed to admit we like" 

Well, I just finished The Importance of Being Ernest and Everyday life of the Aztecs, and have just started Our Lady Of Guadalupe: And The Conquest Of Darkness by Warren Carroll.  Next up, re-reading Northanger Abbey.  The books on Aztecs do not make for nice nightmares.  Ugh.

Mhoram, please do put up a list of good Catholic books.  That's one of my sticking points for finding new books to read - you get stuck with your few "safe" authors, since you don't want to waste your time on junk.  I'd love to hear what you've found good.
(06-18-2009, 09:42 AM)salixbabylonica Wrote: My, my, all these erudite people!  We should have a thread about "guilty pleasures: the books we are ashamed to admit we like" 

That'd be pretty much EVERY book I read... Embarrassed
(06-18-2009, 11:21 AM)Mrs_Spock Wrote:
(06-18-2009, 09:42 AM)salixbabylonica Wrote: My, my, all these erudite people!  We should have a thread about "guilty pleasures: the books we are ashamed to admit we like" 

That'd be pretty much EVERY book I read... Embarrassed

LOL