Our Lady of Victory
(06-14-2009, 10:01 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-14-2009, 09:57 PM)PeteC Wrote: Actually, that was John XXIII who changed it from "Feast of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary" to "Blessed Virgin Mary of the Rosary", which was the title under which it was known at Rome.

Pope John XXIII died in 1963. The name of the feast was changed to its current ordinary Latin status in 1969. I highly doubt Pope John Paul XXIII changed it from the grave ;)

It was changed in 1960 :-) as can be seen in a 1961 altar missal.  Alternatively, you can look in the document Variationes in Breviario et Missali romano, no 12. I couldn't find the text fo this online in Latin or English but this seems to be a French version
http://www.introibo.fr/Variationes-Changement-dans-le
(06-14-2009, 10:03 PM)PeteC Wrote:
(06-14-2009, 10:01 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-14-2009, 09:57 PM)PeteC Wrote: Actually, that was John XXIII who changed it from "Feast of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary" to "Blessed Virgin Mary of the Rosary", which was the title under which it was known at Rome.

Pope John XXIII died in 1963. The name of the feast was changed to its current ordinary Latin status in 1969. I highly doubt Pope John Paul XXIII changed it from the grave ;)

It was changed in 1960 :-) as can be seen in a 1961 altar missal.  Alternatively, you can look in the document Variationes in Breviario et Missali romano, no 12. I couldn't find the text fo this online in Latin or English but this seems to be a French version
http://www.introibo.fr/Variationes-Changement-dans-le

Blasted communists... Thanks for the information.
(06-14-2009, 01:49 PM)didishroom Wrote: I agree that the significance of Lepanto can be lost after a while so making the title more broad seens reasonable. But then again this was done by Pope Paul VI who actually gave the banners taken at Lepanto back to the Turks. Unfortunately I can only conclude he did this for what we now call "PC reasons."

I always thought of Our Lady of Victory as Our Lady assisting us in ALL battles both temporal and Spiritual. I know it was to commemorate Lapanto but this is sort of how I took it. Being that it was Pope Paul VI the worst Pope of the Church who changed this and since he did give the muhommadan headhunters their banners back I am inclined to believe he did it for false ecumenical reasons. :pazzo: