Vegetarianism: Hippie Fad or Part of the Culture of Life?
Interesting post, but I've never heard of a vegan who wasn't into some other type of "rebellious" activity....you seem to paint the picture that most vegans are like you.
(06-22-2009, 08:29 AM)didishroom Wrote: Interesting post, but I've never heard of a vegan who wasn't into some other type of "rebellious" activity....you seem to paint the picture that most vegans are like you.

Define "rebellious" activity.    :laughing: 

I've been a vegan for a long time, going on 20 years, so I might be able to contribute constructively to this thread.
hippie fad
(06-22-2009, 04:20 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: Very interesting, I think as I nibble on the last piece of chicken thigh.
Another thing known vegans have to deal with is the random information people give us about their food preferences ;)

(06-22-2009, 08:29 AM)didishroom Wrote: Interesting post, but I've never heard of a vegan who wasn't into some other type of "rebellious" activity....you seem to paint the picture that most vegans are like you.
Well, you seem to think only the rare outspoken one is the kind that exists. By definition, a rebellious and outspoken type of person is more noticeable. Most vegans are like me in their relations with other people. The only time it comes up is when others bring it up.

(06-22-2009, 10:15 AM)Magnificat Wrote: Define "rebellious" activity.    :laughing:  

I've been a vegan for a long time, going on 20 years, so I might be able to contribute constructively to this thread.
See people? We come out of the woodwork and we do not fit the stereotypes you say are binding. I was right ;)
Quote:Well, you seem to think only the rare outspoken one is the kind that exists. By definition, a rebellious and outspoken type of person is more noticeable. Most vegans are like me in their relations with other people. The only time it comes up is when others bring it up.
Then how do you know that they even exist? Secret handshake?
(06-22-2009, 12:47 PM)didishroom Wrote: Then how do you know that they even exist? Secret handshake?

No, the same way anyone else does, by chance encounters. Since I am vegan, it often happens when we are in the same place buying food.

I have not met face to face a stereotypical vegan, but I've met many vegetarians and vegans otherwise.
The only vegan that I've known in real life was a woman who organized boycotts of KFC, but she was also a country girl who hunted and fished.

We were surprised that she married one of my best friends whose family in Kansas City owned both a regionally large dairy and a couple of successful barbeque restaurants.  :laughing:
Quote from: Jacafamala
Very interesting, I think as I nibble on the last piece of chicken thigh.

Rosarium: Another thing known vegans have to deal with is the random information people give us about their food preferences

Oh, for heaven sake, laugh a little. I was trying to make you laugh!

Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(06-22-2009, 05:46 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Oh, for heaven sake, laugh a little. I was trying to make you laugh!

I may have laughed; how would you be able to know either way?
(06-22-2009, 05:49 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-22-2009, 05:46 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Oh, for heaven sake, laugh a little. I was trying to make you laugh!

I may have laughed; how would you be able to know either way?

Well, did you laugh?

I was a vegetarian, for like about eight years. Then I married my husband and gave it up for his sake. My daughter is now a vegetarian. She read a book on the meat industry it is enough to make anyone  :puke: <<<---that.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.