Vegetarianism: Hippie Fad or Part of the Culture of Life?
(06-22-2009, 06:12 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Well, did you laugh?
No. I am told such things so many times that I don't see it as funny.

Quote:I was a vegetarian, for like about eight years. Then I married my husband and gave it up for his sake.
That is weird. Did he really want you to not be a vegetarian?

Quote:My daughter is now a vegetarian. She read a book on the meat industry it is enough to make anyone  :puke: <<<---that.
Is she living under your care? The word you want is "puke" :)

No. I am told such things so many times that I don't see it as funny.

Oh, well pish-posh....

That is weird. Did he really want you to not be a vegetarian?

I just knew I'd be the one cooking and he's definitely a meat eater. Marriage is an endless series of compromise, you know...

Is she living under your care? The word you want is "puke" :)

Yes, she is. But she's not that bad.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(06-16-2009, 02:33 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: I just finished reading Mary Eberstadt's essay in the latest issue of First Things.  It concerns the potential for links between the pro-life cause and vegetarianism/veganism.  I though that it might make for a fruitful (if you'll pardon the pun) discussion...

Here's a link to the article:  http://www.firstthings.com/article/2009/...1243228870

:safe:

Hippie fad.  Definitely.

Our bad luck, though, that what was once hippie fad has now turned 'mainstream.' 
(06-23-2009, 01:54 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: Hippie fad.  Definitely.

Our bad luck, though, that what was once hippie fad has now turned 'mainstream.' 

A hippy fad which started with Adam, is done by many cultures of the world, and which has many people currently do it in their personal lives?

I do think "animal rights" are a hippy fad so to speak.
(06-23-2009, 02:09 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-23-2009, 01:54 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: Hippie fad.  Definitely.

A hippy fad which started with Adam, is done by many cultures of the world, and which has many people currently do it in their personal lives?

I do think "animal rights" are a hippy fad so to speak.

Hippie fad.

I met someone who runs a Deadliest-Catch type fishing boat.  He could never get a decent day's work out of a vegetarian because they lacked the strength.
(06-23-2009, 04:40 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: I met someone who runs a Deadliest-Catch type fishing boat.  He could never get a decent day's work out of a vegetarian because they lacked the strength.

Then they weren't eating right. Years ago I was a vegetarian for quite awhile, for complicated reasons. I ate a careful diet with lots of grains and legumes to make sure I got balanced proteins. During the period I was a construction worker and my employers never had cause for complaint.
Live on tofu and bean sprouts, by all means.  Eat twinkies if you will.  No one is trying to stop you.  The same can't be said for the other side.

There is a great deal of self-rightousness displayed by the vegetarian 'movement,' and that they're already on their way to removing many of our freedoms.
(06-23-2009, 04:40 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: Hippie fad.

I met someone who runs a Deadliest-Catch type fishing boat.  He could never get a decent day's work out of a vegetarian because they lacked the strength.

Anecdotes. Vegetarians aren't magically fit. Vegetarian athletes are just as good or better as any other.

(06-23-2009, 04:54 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: Live on tofu and bean sprouts, by all means.  Eat twinkies if you will.  No one is trying to stop you.  The same can't be said for the other side.

There is a great deal of self-rightousness displayed by the vegetarian 'movement,' and that they're already on their way to removing many of our freedoms.

I never had tofu or sprouts. There is much self-rightousness displayed by many people from smokers, meaters, drinkers, and vegans. It isn't unique.
(06-23-2009, 04:54 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: There is a great deal of self-rightousness displayed by the vegetarian 'movement,' and that they're already on their way to removing many of our freedoms.

Dude, you kill me.  :rofl:
[Image: funny-pictures-your-cat-is-vegan.jpg]

[Image: celebrity-pictures-leonard-nimoy-fur-dead.jpg]