Cavities in Baby Teeth
(06-17-2009, 05:05 PM)Satori Wrote:
(06-17-2009, 03:33 PM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(06-17-2009, 01:50 PM)ErinIsNice Wrote:
(06-17-2009, 12:11 PM)Rosarium Wrote: (As an aside, breastfeeding a baby with teeth seems risky to me.)

Please please PLEASE just stay off parenting threads.  You have no knowledge and you make idiotic statements like this.

Anyway, Satori, some babies/kids just have weak enamel.  They say there are a lot of different causes, but it's partly genetic.  If that's the case, when she gets older, the dentist can put sealant on her teeth which will help protect them.
Are you using the no-fluoride baby toothpaste?  Maybe switching to one with some fluoride would help?

Erin is 100% correct.  (with all of her comments here, lol  ;D)  The comment about babies with teeth being dangerous, Rosarium, is one of the most innane comments I have seen on F.E. Our 5yo still nurses on occasion. as does our 2yo. Both have full sets of teeth.

All of our babies have slept with us, and my wife nurses them to sleep every evening, as well as nursing them again during the night. My kids could be in a dentist's commercial about how teeth should look. Breast feeding is one of the best things in the world you can do for proper tooth, gum and jaw development.

Well, do you have any idea what could be going on with my kid's teeth? Because I nurse her pretty much the same way your wife nurses your kids. What do you and your wife do for their teeth? I guess your five-year-old is old enough to brush, but what did you do when she was a baby?

I think Erin was spot-on. Some kids just have weak enamel.

We have always brushed ours with either Tom's of Maine products or just plain baking soda. We will brush our little ones when they get their first tooth once or twice a day. sometimes even before the first tooth. gently massage the gums with a very soft brush.
(06-17-2009, 03:54 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-17-2009, 03:33 PM)matthew_talbot Wrote: All of our babies have slept with us, and my wife nurses them to sleep every evening, as well as nursing them again during the night. My kids could be in a dentist's commercial about how teeth should look. Breast feeding is one of the best things in the world you can do for proper tooth, gum and jaw development.

Sounds like you have a nice family.

We are blessed  :)
Unfortunately, kids can't use rinses for their enamel until they are old enough to swish and not swallow.  I always nursed mine to sleep, and they have good teeth, but I have friends who did everything (brushed many times a day, etc) and their toddlers  still got cavities.  So I think normally nighttime nursing does not affect teeth, but it might in babies predisposed to cavities.

A friend of my oldest has a mouth full of crowns despite good dental care and healthy food, and he's only 7.  It runs in their family.

On the upside though, by the time a kid is getting adult teeth, he or she can use the toothpastes and rinses for stronger enamel, and get the adult teeth sealed, before any problems start.

If you couldn't breastfeed a baby with teeth, I'd be in trouble, because my youngest had two teeth by 3 months, and all four of them had a full mouth of teeth before they were one  :laughing: