Tattoos licit?
(06-18-2009, 06:16 PM)didishroom Wrote: Ok playing a little Devil's Advocate here..but aren't earrings vain? Make up? Hair dye(tasteful-not blue or green-sorry Erin) other jewelry?

By themselves? No. Usually? Yes.

(06-18-2009, 06:26 PM)geogeer Wrote: Bingo!  I think the only time you could not call it vain was when the some of early Christians would put a (modest) tattoo of the cross on their wrists so that they would not be tempted to deny their faith if caught by the Roman authorities.
There are many reasons for a tattoo; the most common reasons are not what I'd consider proper.

(06-18-2009, 06:14 PM)Credo Wrote: You will not find an answer to this. After years of having seen this question pop up, no one has cited anything definitive. That being said, let's not be minimalists. Just like smoking, just because something is not necessarily sinful does not make it smart to do. Another question I have also to have answered is how tattoos are not vein? I see tattoos as a violation of modesty.
Well, one could get them closer to an artery; not so vein then.
(06-18-2009, 06:28 PM)didishroom Wrote: So it's not vain as long as it is temporary? That doesn't make much sense.

That doesn't make sense.

Vanity is only part of the issue. Other things to consider are modesty, the alteration of the body, and the purpose of the tattoo.

There is a big difference between a soldier having some identifying mark inked into his skin to aid with identifying his body and a naked lady tattoo on the arm. Most fall inbetween (like, a soldier getting a unit tattoo, or people putting other trivial tattoos on their body).

No matter the reason or licitness, one should ask if they really want it. If one has a hestitation, it is best to not get it for obvious reasons.
(06-18-2009, 06:38 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-18-2009, 06:28 PM)didishroom Wrote: So it's not vain as long as it is temporary? That doesn't make much sense.

That doesn't make sense.

Vanity is only part of the issue. Other things to consider are modesty, the alteration of the body, and the purpose of the tattoo.

There is a big difference between a soldier having some identifying mark inked into his skin to aid with identifying his body and a naked lady tattoo on the arm. Most fall inbetween (like, a soldier getting a unit tattoo, or people putting other trivial tattoos on their body).

No matter the reason or licitness, one should ask if they really want it. If one has a hestitation, it is best to not get it for obvious reasons.

I have zero hesitation as to whether i want it.

My initial idea was I'd get a cross/crucifix depiction, as has already been mentioned, but I think that would be hard to wear reverently 100% of the time (as I'm not always reverent in life, so I think I shouldn't wear such a tat')
(06-18-2009, 07:03 PM)Iuvenalis Wrote: I have zero hesitation as to whether i want it. it'll be something like my daughter's initials and birthdate, or her name (most likely initials since her name is reallllly long!), or some variation having to do with that. Possibly her footprint, but the general purpose will be the same idea.
Well, that is not necessary, but neither is it irrverent, so I guess it is up to you if you want to have that on your body for the rest of you life. If it is sinful in anyway, it isn't major. Perhaps you could ask a priest about it?

Quote:My initial idea was I'd get a cross/crucifix depiction, as has already been mentioned, but I think that would be hard to wear reverently 100% of the time (as I'm not always reverent in life, so I think I shouldn't wear such a tat')
If I ever got a tattoo, I'd have to get something useful. Maybe a chart of some sort. It would have to be something which I don't memorise and that won't change. Or perhaps a "prayer" bead type of thing so I can use them for keeping track. (Obviously, I probably will never get a tattoo)
(06-18-2009, 07:06 PM)Rosarium Wrote: If I ever got a tattoo, I'd have to get something useful. Maybe a chart of some sort. It would have to be something which I don't memorise and that won't change. Or perhaps a "prayer" bead type of thing so I can use them for keeping track. (Obviously, I probably will never get a tattoo)

That's a good idea actually! I mean, I probably wouldn't end up doing it, but I think it's a good idea.

Also, any prayer worth tattooing is worth memorizing, so that mayn't be necessary in your latter case.
My Chaldean dentist had a small cross tattoo on the inside of his wrist. I can't remember precisely, but if I recall correctly, it was done in accordance with tradition upon making a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. In Iraq, circumstances often necessitated hiding the tattoo, however inconspicuous, to avoid the detection of certain zealous Muslims.
This reminds me of the time I was in Rome in the middle of summer and I saw a priest in a short-sleeved clerical shirt with what appeared to be Latin Scriptures tattooed all over his arms. He also had a pretty cool ponytail.
(06-19-2009, 03:17 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: This reminds me of the time I was in Rome in the middle of summer and I saw a priest in a short-sleeved clerical shirt with what appeared to be Latin Scriptures tattooed all over his arms. He also had a pretty cool ponytail.

ok... ::)
(06-19-2009, 07:50 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(06-19-2009, 03:17 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: This reminds me of the time I was in Rome in the middle of summer and I saw a priest in a short-sleeved clerical shirt with what appeared to be Latin Scriptures tattooed all over his arms. He also had a pretty cool ponytail.

ok... ::)

Did He drive one of these?

[Image: 2009festivalmotorcycle0.jpg]
(06-18-2009, 06:26 PM)geogeer Wrote: Besides being a major turn off, any of you ladies who get one in the small of their back must know that you cannot get an epidural if you do so.

This is not even true!  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: