An answer to empty confessionals
(07-02-2009, 07:18 AM)maso Wrote: I believe that the Curé d'Ars attracted a huge number of penitents even from foreign countries because of his reputation of soul's knowledge. Like the Padre Pio he knew already the state of the soul of a person before entering the confessional. He could remind this person of old forgotten though unconfessed sins, and could assess whether he was sincere or not. This gift could help as much the hard-hearted sinners as the good faithfuls to make a good confession.
How  I would like to confess myself to such a priest.
I was told that some priests still have this gift in the times being.
Does anyone know such a holy priest?

The power of the priest to absolve sins comes from the Holy Ghost, and lays in bad priest as well as in the most Holy ones.  Weather a confession is good or bad depends entirely in the mental state (contrition) of the one who confess hie/her sins, not on the priests. If one truly remorses his/her sins, and get the absolution from a priest, he/she is in the state of grace.
Yes but that's not enough. Otherwise the Curé d'Ars would have reverted the crowds he attracted to their respective priests.
If these people were able to wait during hours (and even DAYS) in the lines to his confessional it was bcs they needed more than only absolution.
Has anyone looked at it from this angle. Actual Grace appears to be absent in many situations. The priest that has no time is an example. The sinner that has no time to go is another. Without actual grace to go as a sinner, or for a tired Priest to go and hear a good confession, Sanctifying Grace is diminishing  in the world, one person at a time. In the old days Priests heard confessions before and during Mass daily, in the afternoons, including Saturdays, and Sundays up until the High Mass. We didn't realise how good God is.
tim
(07-02-2009, 04:22 PM)maso Wrote: Yes but that's not enough. Otherwise the Curé d'Ars would have reverted the crowds he attracted to their respective priests.
If these people were able to wait during hours (and even DAYS) in the lines to his confessional it was bcs they needed more than only absolution.

1./ Until St. John  Viennay lived each midnight the bell rang in his town. He died, and the next day was no bell at midnight, and not any more.

2./ People stay in line for ours, may be some for days to get tickets for celebrities. Why do the do that? Worship of popularity or deeper values?

St. John Vianney was saint for his endurance in the seminary and in the confessional seat. He glorified God, he did not changed the world. The world is redeemed by Jesus Christ.