The American Revolution? Resources?

[quote]Even long before I immigrated to Canada, I opposed the Revolution on the basis of these facts.[/quote
Don't worry we don't miss ya, either. ;)
[quote='didishroom' pid='402923' dateline='1246491200']

Quote:Even long before I immigrated to Canada, I opposed the Revolution on the basis of these facts.[/quote
Don't worry we don't miss ya, either. ;)

You know, I stated earlier that I wasn't anti-American, but I might make an exception for you. It's idiots like you that create anti-Americanism.
Jovan, you should at least come on down to Texas for the winter.
Quote:You know, I stated earlier that I wasn't anti-American, but I might make an exception for you. It's idiots like you that create anti-Americanism.

Yes, yes, you knock America but as long as you say you're not anti-American it's ok. ::) And if an American responds to that you blame them for people hating America. How pathetic.....
(07-01-2009, 07:11 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(06-26-2009, 12:11 AM)Quaesumus Wrote: What is a Catholic to think of the American Revolution, and what are some reliable sources that I might be able to read up on it? Thanks!

All I need, as a Catholic are the facts that the Declaration of Independence  condemns King George for granting freedom of worship to the Catholics of Canada, while Catholicism was illegal in 12 of the 13 colonies. The exception was Rhode Island, founded on the principle of religious freedom. Even Maryland, founded by the Catholic Calverts had been taken over by the Anglicans in 1688-89 and the Church outlawed.Add to that the fact that the Bishops of Canada strongly supported the King (remember they were Frenchmen who had only been under British rule for about 12 years) and that the Catholics of Canada refused to join the Rebellion even when they were 'liberated', very temporarily I might add, by American troops.

Even long before I immigrated to Canada, I opposed the Revolution on the basis of these facts.

This is true.  The Quebec Act of 1774 which guaranteed the free practice of the Catholic Faith was one of the instigating factors for the American Revolution of 1776.  It was considered one of the "Intolerable Acts" because of the anti-Catholic bigotry prevalent in the 13 Colonies.  Quebec went on to become a model Catholic state that flourished for over a 150 years.

[/quote]

He was also charged with treason after that (for something else). Probably the only person to get off on murder and treason and still have a law practice.
[/quote]

Is Bill Ayers a lawyer?
Op-ed piece with some bearing on this subject: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/03/opinion/03duval.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1