What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"?
(07-01-2009, 10:56 PM)Sinner Wrote:
(07-01-2009, 09:11 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: ........and a Mary Magdalene who sang "I don't know how to love him." And when the school year was over, we didn't know how to love him either.

- Lisa

That is so saddening. :(

Yes.  Fortunately, I was entrenched in the Baltimore Catechism long before high school and JCSuperStar knew of me. My heart goes out to those who weren't, though.

- Lisa
My first encounter with the "spirit of VII"...... it was around the year 1999 when my stepdad, who was a "C&E Catholic" at that moment in time, invited my mom and I to go to Mass at San Fernando Cathedral in downtown San Antonio for Easter Sunday. My mom, who was and still is Protestant, was appalled by the flamenco dancing troupe and to this very day still brings up the flamenco dancers and their dresses exposing to the smalls of their backs as evidence of why we're "loose", not to mention wrong.

Of course, when I was there at the time, I didn't care one way or the other. I was bored out of my mind, I couldn't see anything because I was still a kid and short, and a little uncomfortable because everyone in the church was Spanish-speaking. That was also, if I recall, the language of the Mass itself. Now, I think this is technically the first Mass I was ever present at. I guess I came a long way from there to here.
First encounter? I'm sure I must have had at least some exposure before about 1970 or so, but about then was the first that I can remember.
Our family  traveled  across town to one of the local Shrines for Christmas Mass - the priest came out dressed as Santa, beard and all, and the Altar Boys were dressed as elves, curly toed shoes, jester hats- the whole nine.

As I recall, mom and dad took us, and we walked out with about 80% of the other parishioners that day as Mass(?) was starting.

I was probably about 10 years old back then but I remember the shock that people expressed through the loud murmuring and gasps that went through that church that day..... back then, you rarely ever even heard anyone else whisper in church - let alone outright verbal disgust.

For a long time, I never understood the concern and confusion that my folks had regarding the faith, but I sure am grateful for a stubborn mother who persevered in and kept the faith right up to her death..........and taught her kids to do their best to do the same!

My mom died 10 years ago today, she loved our Lord and our Blessed Mother, had the last rights (like 5 times) and the Bread of Life before she died, please say an Eternal Rest for Rita - you won't regret it.

Thank you.  

(07-01-2009, 09:11 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I guess I first knew the "Spirit" was here to stay when we had to study Jesus Christ Super Star in high school religion class. Four semesters were devoted to "poor-old-Judas" and a flower-power Jesus and a Mary Magdalene who sang "I don't know how to love him." And when the school year was over, we didn't know how to love him either.  
- Lisa

This is a very good line; funny and sad, too.