Mexican/Spanish Rice
As a Polish woman who married a Mexican man I have done pretty well learning to cook the fare...I know how to make more Mexican dishes than Polish ones.  ;D My dilemma is that every time I try to make rice it comes out wrong. Does anyone have any good recipes they can share??? My family (including orate and Mrs_spock) would be grateful. Thanks!!!
Here's what I do:
Wash and dry about 2 cups rice. Heat up 1/3 cup veg oil until pretty hot and fry the rice in it for 6-8 min until sort of goldeny. Add chopped jalepeno, then 2 big fresh raw diced/pureed tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped garlic, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 tsp salt, and 1tbsp tomato paste. Cover and put in a 350 oven for 30 min until the rice is soft. Top with more jalepno, lime, or cilantro. Blackening the tomatoes can be good if you have the time.
so you fry the rice before it is cooked???
1 cup rice, long grain
2 cups water (preferably, chicken stock)
couple tablespoons olive oil
salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
half a small onion, diced
half small tomato (or cheat, and use tomato paste/ tomato sauce), also diced
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, chopped very small

heat pan, add oil, and all that...
add the onion, saute until translucent, then add the tomato (unless you're using paste, or sauce), and then the garlic.
Add the rice, and saute until the rice turns color - a nice faint gold (depending on rice used)
Add the water, or stock, then the salt, cumin, and tomato paste/ sauce, stirring to mix well.
Bring to a boil, cover, then lower heat to simmer.  When liquid has been absorbed, your rice is ready.
It should take about 15 - 20 minutes.  or so.

Oh, and if you serve rice, you've gotta have beans.    :eats:
(06-29-2009, 03:31 PM)Texican Wrote: 1 cup rice, long grain
2 cups water (preferably, chicken stock)
couple tablespoons olive oil
salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
half a small onion, diced
half small tomato (or cheat, and use tomato paste/ tomato sauce), also diced
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, chopped very small

heat pan, add oil, and all that...
add the onion, saute until translucent, then add the tomato (unless you're using paste, or sauce), and then the garlic.
Add the rice, and saute until the rice turns color - a nice faint gold (depending on rice used)
Add the water, or stock, then the salt, cumin, and tomato paste/ sauce, stirring to mix well.
Bring to a boil, cover, then lower heat to simmer.  When liquid has been absorbed, your rice is ready.
It should take about 15 - 20 minutes.  or so.

Oh, and if you serve rice, you've gotta have beans.    :eats:

She makes superb beans!
(06-29-2009, 03:50 PM)Mrs_Spock Wrote: She makes superb beans!

I'd like to take your word for it, but I'd rather judge for myself. 

You listening, Upswife?  :eats:
I don't have a recipe, I just eyeball it

Use just enough oil to coat the pan well otherwise you end up with greasy rice.  Add a cup of rice and toast in the oil.  Don't overdo it otherwise you'll end up with hard rice.

Cook on medium to medium-high heat.  When the rice starts to almost turn opaque in the oil, I add about 1 diced medium onion and cook about another two minutes. 

When the rice is done toasting (you start to smell it,) I add about a cup and and a half of chicken stock plus one bouillon cube to the rice.  I use more liquid if I'm using a fresh tomato, but I usually use canned diced out of convenience. (total liquid comes out to less than 2 cups total - about 1 3/4)

Bring the liquid to a simmer, add half a can of diced tomatoes plus all the juice to the pan.  Smash 3 large cloves of garlic (don't mince because you'll pull these out at the end) and add to the pan.

Add a few grinds of black pepper and sometimes a dash or two of sea salt (taste the broth first.) I sometimes add a pinch of saffron threads for extra fanciness.

Cover and simmer on low for about 20 minutes.

Its hit and miss sometimes.  My grandma makes the best rice and I'm still working on duplicating hers.  As it gets closer I may update my technique but there you go

I don't understand any of this...

Cubans eat nothing but Chinese rice.

:P
(06-29-2009, 06:08 PM)libby Wrote: I don't understand any of this...

Cubans eat nothing but Chinese rice.

:P

served with an egg on top...
(06-29-2009, 05:54 PM)Paloma Wrote: I don't have a recipe, I just eyeball it

Me too, but that was as close as I could come to a "recipe"

My salt is hit-or-miss, though, depending on whether I use sea salt, regular salt, or kosher.