Mexican/Spanish Rice
(06-29-2009, 06:11 PM)Texican Wrote:
(06-29-2009, 06:08 PM)libby Wrote: I don't understand any of this...

Cubans eat nothing but Chinese rice.

:P

served with an egg on top...

but that's only if you're having picadillo and tostones too.

:tiphat:
(06-29-2009, 06:15 PM)libby Wrote:
(06-29-2009, 06:11 PM)Texican Wrote:
(06-29-2009, 06:08 PM)libby Wrote: I don't understand any of this...

Cubans eat nothing but Chinese rice.

served with an egg on top...

but that's only if you're having picadillo and tostones too.

:tiphat:

That's how they serve "Cuban" rice in Spain.  Minus the picadillo and tostones, though.
There was a big immigration of Chinese at the turn of the last century - so Cubans eat white rice at almost every meal.

And if you have leftovers, you can make Chinese fried rice with COLD rice.

Then there's arroz con pollo, arroz con calamares, arroz con gambas, etc.

( chicken and rice, rice with squid, rice with shrimp, etc )

The way I make white rice:

to about 1/3 cup of veg. oil ( I like peanut oil) , I add 3 or 4 cloves of garlic. Saute until they barely start to turn tan - if they burn, they're shot.

add a cup of long grain rice, stir for about 30 seconds, then put in 2 cups of water.

put in about a tsp. of salt, and taste it to see that it's ok.

Let it come to a boil, put the lid on it, and reduce to low or simmer.

IF ANYONE TRIES TO LIFT UP THE LID IN THOSE 15 MINUTES THEY MUST BE SEVERELY PUNISHED.

when the 15 minutes are up, turn off the heat but don't open it. after 10 minutes or so, open the lid and fluff it up with a fork so it's not sticky. If it IS sticky, it's because some one came along and opened the lid, it's not your fault.

:eats:
Mmmm....delicious.....[Image: drooling_homer.png]
Thanks guys I will try soon! They all sound ymmy, Hope hubby like it
(06-29-2009, 05:54 PM)Paloma Wrote: I don't have a recipe, I just eyeball it

Use just enough oil to coat the pan well otherwise you end up with greasy rice.  Add a cup of rice and toast in the oil.  Don't overdo it otherwise you'll end up with hard rice.

Cook on medium to medium-high heat.  When the rice starts to almost turn opaque in the oil, I add about 1 diced medium onion and cook about another two minutes. 

When the rice is done toasting (you start to smell it,) I add about a cup and and a half of chicken stock plus one bouillon cube to the rice.  I use more liquid if I'm using a fresh tomato, but I usually use canned diced out of convenience. (total liquid comes out to less than 2 cups total - about 1 3/4)

Bring the liquid to a simmer, add half a can of diced tomatoes plus all the juice to the pan.  Smash 3 large cloves of garlic (don't mince because you'll pull these out at the end) and add to the pan.

Add a few grinds of black pepper and sometimes a dash or two of sea salt (taste the broth first.) I sometimes add a pinch of saffron threads for extra fanciness.

Cover and simmer on low for about 20 minutes.

Its hit and miss sometimes.  My grandma makes the best rice and I'm still working on duplicating hers.  As it gets closer I may update my technique but there you go

My tia used to make the most amazing rice (which I watched a thousand times as a kid but can't remember how she did it), but I swore she used canned tomato paste, or sauce, not diced...y'know, the short little cans
(06-29-2009, 06:28 PM)libby Wrote: There was a big immigration of Chinese at the turn of the last century - so Cubans eat white rice at almost every meal.

to about 1/3 cup of veg. oil ( I like peanut oil) , I add 3 or 4 cloves of garlic. Saute until they barely start to turn tan - if they burn, they're shot.

add a cup of long grain rice, stir for about 30 seconds, then put in 2 cups of water.

IF ANYONE TRIES TO LIFT UP THE LID IN THOSE 15 MINUTES THEY MUST BE SEVERELY PUNISHED.

when the 15 minutes are up, turn off the heat but don't open it. after 10 minutes or so, open the lid and fluff it up with a fork so it's not sticky. If it IS sticky, it's because some one came along and opened the lid, it's not your fault.

Forgive a question, for both you and Paloma, that is probably very stupid:  I assume the rice you put in is uncooked?  I know that fried rice requires cooked rice, but I assume these recipes are both starting with raw rice, right?  I'm not much of a rice expert........ :(
You guys should try Cuban rice.  There's beer in it.
(07-02-2009, 07:19 AM)epalinurus Wrote:
(06-29-2009, 06:28 PM)libby Wrote: There was a big immigration of Chinese at the turn of the last century - so Cubans eat white rice at almost every meal.

Forgive a question, for both you and Paloma, that is probably very stupid:  I assume the rice you put in is uncooked?  I know that fried rice requires cooked rice, but I assume these recipes are both starting with raw rice, right?  I'm not much of a rice expert........ :(

Raw rice.  That's not a stupid question.  Outside of mexican/spanish rice dishes, I have never come across a recipe that calls for toasting raw rice.

You can also use this same technique I mentioned above to make fideo, which is a mexican pasta dish that every mexican kid grew up eating. Its like Mexican comfort food.  Instead of rice, you use fideo size pasta which is like a small vermicelli broken up into smaller pieces (or you can use star shaped pasta.)  The only difference is that you toast the pasta until it browns and add a lot more broth (comes out soupy.)
(07-02-2009, 08:57 AM)Magnificat Wrote: You guys should try Cuban rice.

:eats:

Quote:There's beer in it.

Just like me!