Mexican/Spanish Rice
#21
I have to go buy some fideo now...
Reply
#22
(07-02-2009, 11:44 AM)Paloma Wrote:
(07-02-2009, 07:19 AM)epalinurus Wrote:
(06-29-2009, 06:28 PM)libby Wrote:
:P

Forgive a question, for both you and Paloma, that is probably very stupid:  I assume the rice you put in is uncooked?  I know that fried rice requires cooked rice, but I assume these recipes are both starting with raw rice, right?  I'm not much of a rice expert........ :(

Raw rice.  That's not a stupid question.  Outside of mexican/spanish rice dishes, I have never come across a recipe that calls for toasting raw rice.


You can also use this same technique I mentioned above to make fideo, which is a mexican pasta dish that every mexican kid grew up eating. Its like Mexican comfort food.  Instead of rice, you use fideo size pasta which is like a small vermicelli broken up into smaller pieces (or you can use star shaped pasta.)  The only difference is that you toast the pasta until it browns and add a lot more broth (comes out soupy.)


Thanks for that.  Now fideo I've had.  It's good.  I'm Italian, and I've eaten pasta every way imaginable, in every nationality's cooking -- Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Japanese.  Mexican food, and particularly real Mexican food, is great.  Thanks for the help.
Reply
#23
(07-02-2009, 02:43 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: My tia used to make the most amazing rice (which I watched a thousand times as a kid but can't remember how she did it), but I swore she used canned tomato paste, or sauce, not diced...y'know, the short little cans

Rice is very personal.   :laughing:

Its a bit like a litmus test of how good a cook you are.  Everyone swears their tia or their abuela made the best rice and thinks that everyone else's rice pales in comparison.  I've had outright horrible rice that others raved about.  Mexican food is just very personal to families, which is why I think that Mexicans can never agree which Mexican restaurant/taco stand is best.  If you asked a Mexican here to recommend a good Mexican restaurant, 75% of them will say "there isn't one," and the other 25% will be a mixed bag.

I actually need to watch my grandma make it again,  We do used canned diced but my grandma often uses fresh roma tomatos.  I know when I use fresh, I often throw in a tiny bit of sauce or juice (mainly for color)
Reply
#24
Paloma Wrote:recommend a good Mexican restaurant, 75% of them will say "there isn't one,"

Too true- I haven't found one, yet.

and my abuelita's rice is better than your abuelita's rice, too!
Reply
#25
(07-02-2009, 12:08 PM)Texican Wrote:
Paloma Wrote:recommend a good Mexican restaurant, 75% of them will say "there isn't one,"

Too true- I haven't found one, yet.

and my abuelita's rice is better than your abuelita's rice, too!

Aye muy ch***on.  :P

We need a FE rice-off.
Reply
#26
(07-02-2009, 01:38 PM)Paloma Wrote: Aye muy ch***on.   :P

We need a FE rice-off.

Sounds good, but I don't want to compete- I'll just be the judge.  :eats:
Reply
#27
(07-02-2009, 01:40 PM)Texican Wrote:
(07-02-2009, 01:38 PM)Paloma Wrote: Aye muy ch***on.   :P

We need a FE rice-off.

Sounds good, but I don't want to compete- I'll just be the judge.  :eats:

I like my rice like alaric likes his people.

White and dry.
Reply
#28
(07-02-2009, 01:41 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(07-02-2009, 01:40 PM)Texican Wrote:
(07-02-2009, 01:38 PM)Paloma Wrote: Aye muy ch***on.   :P

We need a FE rice-off.

Sounds good, but I don't want to compete- I'll just be the judge.  :eats:

I like my rice like alaric likes his people.

White and dry.


:rofl: :laughing:
Reply
#29

(07-02-2009, 01:41 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(07-02-2009, 01:40 PM)Texican Wrote:
(07-02-2009, 01:38 PM)Paloma Wrote: Aye muy ch***on.  :P

We need a FE rice-off.

Sounds good, but I don't want to compete- I'll just be the judge.  :eats:

I like my rice like alaric likes his people.

White and dry.

oh no he di'int.

walberg, you slay me.
Reply
#30

At the risk of sounding non-authentic, though my wife and I are foodies and usually make a lot of dishes from scratch, we actually like the "Near East" version of Spanish Rice you can buy in a box.  It's a little spicy, and easy!  See if your grocery store carries it.  If not, buy it from Amazon =)

Calicatholic

Reply




Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)