Mexican/Spanish Rice
(07-03-2009, 02:47 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote:
(07-02-2009, 11:23 PM)libby Wrote:
(07-02-2009, 11:19 PM)Texican Wrote: i gots a beard!  I'm all set- when is it?    :eats:

dunno -

you have to ask Paloma.

;D

It appears that both competitors will have facial hair as well.

hey, I'm a competitor, too - and I don't have any facial hair.

:(

I didn't even get eyebrows till I was 30.

You can compete in my stead, Libby,  I just want to be a judge.  ;D
I tried the recipe's today...it was a big hit..I did have to make a few modifications, since I decided to make it last minute, and I was missing the jalapenos but I made do. I even caught my son eating some out of the pot while he was putting away the food. :eats: Thanks again...it was enjoyed by all!!! :chleader:
(06-29-2009, 03:11 PM)upswife Wrote: As a Polish woman who married a Mexican man I have done pretty well learning to cook the fare...I know how to make more Mexican dishes than Polish ones.  ;D My dilemma is that every time I try to make rice it comes out wrong. Does anyone have any good recipes they can share??? My family (including orate and Mrs_spock) would be grateful. Thanks!!!

That's because there are more Mexican dishes than Polish.

Sto lat.
(09-06-2009, 10:28 PM)upswife Wrote: I tried the recipe's today...it was a big hit..I did have to make a few modifications, since I decided to make it last minute, and I was missing the jalapenos but I made do. I even caught my son eating some out of the pot while he was putting away the food. :eats: Thanks again...it was enjoyed by all!!! :chleader:

Sorry I missed it.  Save some for me for tomorrow or Tuesday.  :eats:
(09-06-2009, 11:54 PM)orate Wrote:
(09-06-2009, 10:28 PM)upswife Wrote: I tried the recipe's today...it was a big hit..I did have to make a few modifications, since I decided to make it last minute, and I was missing the jalapenos but I made do. I even caught my son eating some out of the pot while he was putting away the food. :eats: Thanks again...it was enjoyed by all!!! :chleader:

Sorry I missed it.  Save some for me for tomorrow or Tuesday.   :eats:

Mmmm! Mmmm! Good!
I will agree that Texican's rice is fajita-worthy.

When are you making some more, K?  :eats:
I looked at these recipes, thought they sounded good, but then I realized that the end goal is to--to have your rice fall apart!  Why would you do that?  Rice is supposed to stick together in nice clumps!  If you get really good, fresh rice you do not need to put anything on it at all.  It's delicious just the way it is.

Back in college I used to put raw egg and soy sauce on my nice, fresh rice.  It was a huge hit in the dorm.  ;D
Long grain rice stays loose and fluffier. Medium and shorter grains will stick and hold together. Americans (and afaik, Mexicans) prefer to use the flakier long grain rices.
long grain rice for eating plain as an accompaniment to beans, etc best if fluffy and loose AND has salt added before cooking as well as whatever fat is going in - the opposite of y'all

medium grain for making rice dishes (shrimp and rice, paella, arroz con pollo, etc) - this one is stickier -

short grain for desserts ( rice pudding).stickiest, starchiest of them
all