Cardinal O'Brien on Nuclear Weapons
(07-06-2009, 12:13 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: So I guess you know more about this than Generals MacArthur and Eisenhower, Admirals Leahy and Zacharias, and Secretary of State Forrestal?  Or were they all just lying or ignorant in military matters?

I have to agree with you that the a-bomb was not necessary to defeat the Japanese. I don't think President Roosevelt would have employed it had he lived on. The belief that the a-bomb was necessary is probably Truman's greatest con against the American people.

It doesn't follow, though, that:

rbjmartin Wrote:After all, we're the only ones with the moral depravity to have justified actually using them, and that makes us one of the worst threats to peace in the world.

If the Japanese, the Russians, the Germans or the Chinese had the a-bomb in WWII, they would have certainly used them more than twice. Hitler, Tojo, Stalin, Mao and most of their countrymen would have been more than happy to see their enemies entirely wiped off the face of the earth. We have the benefit of Hiroshima and Nagasaki at least being an extremely controversial point in our history. We peacefully reconstructed Japan under MacArthur, rather than gunning down every last "gook" when we had the chance. The Russians and Japanese still habitually justify or deny the gulags, death marches, Nanking, etc.

Today, Japan and America are close allies, and as you probably know, there are millions of Japanophiles across the country who admire and consume everything Japanese (particularly anime and manga culture). Compare this to attitudes toward the Japanese in China, Korea, Indonesia or the Philippines. The hatred that so many Asians have against the Japanese surpasses anything we've experienced in the States from the Klan, the Black Panthers, neo-Nazis, or anyone else. If China or Indonesia could get away with nuking all of Japan off the face of the earth today, they probably would.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Cardinal O'Brien on Nuclear Weapons - by The_Harlequin_King - 07-06-2009, 07:43 PM