Pilgrimage to Chartres (video, PBS)
(07-04-2009, 01:44 PM)phnuggle Wrote:
(07-04-2009, 04:28 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(07-04-2009, 12:03 AM)phnuggle Wrote: How many miles a day do the pilgrims walk?

35 35, 20.

Roughly.

Or, maybe that's kilometers.

Merci. :)

Well, I'm out of shape, and I was able to do it.  Wasn't terribly fun, but it's a penitential walk, remember.

And I totally remembered what merci means, but I'm leaving my response.

Bitte.  (You're welcome, in German.  ;))
A pilgrimage like that would be something memorable to do. But who'd want to fly all the way to France to do it? You'd be totally surrounded by cheese-eating surrender monkeys. And there's no guarantee you'd even make it to the starting point - some union or other is sure to be on strike at any given time. Could be airport baggage handlers, cabbies, bus drivers, train crews....anyone who could impede movement.
(07-05-2009, 02:04 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: A pilgrimage like that would be something memorable to do. But who'd want to fly all the way to France to do it? You'd be totally surrounded by cheese-eating surrender monkeys. And there's no guarantee you'd even make it to the starting point - some union or other is sure to be on strike at any given time. Could be airport baggage handlers, cabbies, bus drivers, train crews....anyone who could impede movement.

:bronxcheer:

We don't want Southern Californians here anyway, lest our pilgrimage be hijacked by West Coast gangsters and moisturised surfers.
What, exactly, is a "surrender monkey?"  By the way, a great and inspiring video.  I love reading Dr. Rao's essays.  Would love to make this pilgrimage sometime in my life but I would definitely need to shape up a bit. 
(07-03-2009, 07:40 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: i know this may sound weird. but a big pet peeve with me is people who speak with food in their mouths bug me. but right when this guy started to talk with food in his mouth i got bugged. c'mon chew your food swallow and say what you have to say.

Elbows on the table give me a fit, so I suppose that having lunch with Dr Rao would make me murderous.

(07-06-2009, 01:10 AM)tflinn Wrote: What, exactly, is a "surrender monkey?"

It is a derogatory phrase referring to the French (see the Wikipedia article) which gained notoriety in the US when we refused to go on board with the invasion of Eye-rack in search of its mythical weapons of mass destruction. ::)
[It is a derogatory phrase referring to the French (see the Wikipedia article) which gained notoriety in the US when we refused to go on board with the invasion of Eye-rack in search of its mythical weapons of mass destruction. ::)
[/quote]

Yeah, I figured that had something to do with it.    I get very flustered with the absolute lack of any real analysis in the U.S. when it comes to just about anything.  It is much easier to recite bumper stickers than to think.  God bless the French for not being quite so foolish as we were.  On the brighter side, at least "freedom" fries didn't last long.  Thank goodness.
The "cheese-eating surrender monkey" thing comes strictly from the speed with which France surrendered to Germany in WWII, and even then it only really applies to the government of the time.  There were many French people who fought and carried on the resistance with tremendous courage.  The Foreign Legion actually has a very strong and historic reputation, and in fact was invading and bossing around a sovereign foreign country (Ivory Coast) in 2003 while simultaneously lecturing the US about how wrong that is.  The French certainly weren't afraid of Iraq.

France's opposition to the invasion may have been correct in hindsight (given the modern American predilection for turning perfectly good military victories into long-term political and economic defeats), but it was more practical than noble.  Some of the WMDs that were found were French-made Roland missiles.  France and Russia were the two countries profiting most from the Oil-for-Food program (which ended with the invasion), and some top French officials were found to have been taking bribes to keep that extremely corrupt program going.

So France had economic and political reasons for wanting the embargo to continue, and for not wanting any sort of investigative force given free rein to poke around Iraq.