Obama Picks "Pro-Life" Catholic Sellout Douglas Kmiec for Malta Ambassador
(07-03-2009, 12:08 PM)Melita Wrote: Hm. We've just had a cardinal closing the Pauline Year come over. And everyone is busy being entranced by Renzo Piano redesigning the entrance to Valletta.... so I haven't heard much about this man.Horrible that he's going to be here... living not far from me actually. Unfortunately everything here is changing... I just hope it won't be too terrible. Anyway, I don't think the American Ambassador has much say in anything. Just seems a shame that whatever influence he does have will be so sinfully abused, if the man does plan to push a pro-abortion agenda. Please keep Malta in your prayers.

What's changing?
No. That is totally untrue. Diplomats are sent to wage polite wars as much as they intend to build relationships between nations. The medium is the message and the message is clear. We are interested in Catholics as far as their basic superficial presence in the electorate affects the vote -but PRO-LIFE ethics are IRRELEVANT to our decision-making process. This means if you want to do business in the free world be prepared to leave your values at the door. In politics, symbols are never to be underestimated.
It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Malta? 
(07-03-2009, 07:10 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(07-03-2009, 12:08 PM)Melita Wrote: Hm. We've just had a cardinal closing the Pauline Year come over. And everyone is busy being entranced by Renzo Piano redesigning the entrance to Valletta.... so I haven't heard much about this man.Horrible that he's going to be here... living not far from me actually. Unfortunately everything here is changing... I just hope it won't be too terrible. Anyway, I don't think the American Ambassador has much say in anything. Just seems a shame that whatever influence he does have will be so sinfully abused, if the man does plan to push a pro-abortion agenda. Please keep Malta in your prayers.

What's changing?

Malta is slowly becoming more secular. Although Catholicism is still a major part of the social fabric, and being Maltese implies that a person is Catholic, or has been raised Catholic: but people calling for things to "change" have been galvanised by recent distrust with the current government here (a staunchly Catholic one) and outside influence through the media and EU membership.
(07-03-2009, 05:02 PM)spera Wrote: I always thought that Malta was the most Catholic country in the world...am I wrong? What other countries represent 'The Catholic World'?

I don't know about "the most", but it is certainly the only (so far as I know) country that is constitutionally Catholic and thus outlaws divorce, abortion, blasphemy (against the Church and Her teachings, although these laws are rarely enforced) and makes the teaching of Catholicism a mandatory part of public school education.
(07-04-2009, 03:12 PM)Melita Wrote:
(07-03-2009, 07:10 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:

What's changing?

Malta is slowly becoming more secular. Although Catholicism is still a major part of the social fabric, and being Maltese implies that a person is Catholic, or has been raised Catholic: but people calling for things to "change" have been galvanised by recent distrust with the current government here (a staunchly Catholic one) and outside influence through the media and EU membership.

That sucks.  I'm sorry to hear that.