4th of July Dessert
This is kind of short notice, but I am looking for a dessert recipe to make for a family gathering tomorrow evening.  Something festive, but nothing that takes too long to make.  Any ideas?
How about a crisp made with fresh seasonal fruits and served with ice cream? You could get cute and make one with blueberries and strawberries or cherries and top it with vanilla ice cream so it would be red, white, and blue.
I like Libby's cherries in brandy idea.
It's not really dessert but if you serve the family enough booze they won't care.

My mom makes this dessert specially for the fourth, it's angel food cake, strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream, kind of a red, white and blue theme.  Don't aks for a recipe cuz I just eat it, I don't make it.  :eats:
(07-03-2009, 09:44 PM)Texican Wrote: I like Libby's cherries in brandy idea.

Hmmm.  That does sound good.  And I can think of a few family members that would love that.  Maybe I can do that AND something else.  There are lots of kids that will be there, so I would want to do something for them, too. 
(07-03-2009, 09:50 PM)rose Wrote: Hmmm.  That does sound good.  And I can think of a few family members that would love that.  Maybe I can do that AND something else.  There are lots of kids that will be there, so I would want to do something for them, too. 

If you serve them the cherries and brandy, they'll pass out early, and then you can have their fireworks!

Just an idea.  ;D
(07-03-2009, 09:49 PM)DrBombay Wrote: It's not really dessert but if you serve the family enough booze they won't care.

My mom makes this dessert specially for the fourth, it's angel food cake, strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream, kind of a red, white and blue theme.  Don't aks for a recipe cuz I just eat it, I don't make it.   :eats:

I've been looking up recipes online, and I've seen several variations of this.  My aunt usually does something with angel food cake, so I'll check with her.  Its probably a toss up between something like this or a crisp like Satori suggested.  I have an amazing apple crisp recipe that I could probably do with more festive berries. 

+fish for everyone who has contributed (even Dr. B, although it kills me to do that)
Key Lime Pie or Baked Alaska (I miss Sarah Palin already :( )

For an easy Key Lime pie, blend one 8 oz package of cream cheese, one can of sweetened condensed milk and 2/3 a cup of lime juice. Place the blended mixture into a graham cracker crust or pre-cooked tartlet shells. Set in the fridge overnight or for a few hours. Place lime zest on top for a festive touch.

For a light dessert, try a panna cotta with a fruit drizzle.
Perhaps a nice bread pudding?