On Governmental Forms
Here is an concise overview of the basic governmental forms from a Thomistic perspective.  Is there an "ideal" governmental form?  This gives some insights...

http://opuscula.blogspot.com/2009/06/on-...forms.html

I think Catholic monarchy (or even dictatorship or totalitarian state) would be best only if the rulers were true Christians and treated their subjects as as a true Christian should. The question is how often has history proven that is the case?
(07-03-2009, 11:40 PM)Tobri Wrote: I think Catholic monarchy (or even dictatorship or totalitarian state) would be best only if the rulers were true Christians and treated their subjects as as a true Christian should. The question is how often has history proven that is the case?

My own view is that the governmental form is practically irrelevant if the rulers are bad.  But some forms can keep bad rulers more in check than others.  I think St. Thomas hits the nail on the head with the notion of the "mixed regime".
(07-03-2009, 09:35 PM)newschoolman Wrote: Here is an concise overview of the basic governmental forms from a Thomistic perspective.  Is there an "ideal" governmental form?  This gives some insights...

http://opuscula.blogspot.com/2009/06/on-...forms.html

Aristotle distinguishes 6 govermental forms, exaqctly 3 type and good and wrong from each

One man rule: monarchy --- tyranny

Group rule : aristocracy  --- oligarchy

All men rule : Constitutional government --- democracy

He decides that the constitutional government is the best being stable and responsible,

and the democracy is the worst, lacking either the stability and the responsibility

Also somewhat weakening the above evaluation Aristotle added that neither one man not all men can govern, always a group governs.

Rousseau understood that all governments are based on the consensus of the governed people, and this is true even for the dictatures. I lived under dictature: about 10% benefited from the system, and their relatives friends expand int to the minimum one third, which keeps the system alive, and the majority of the rest do not resisted.
Aristotle missed one form; Constitutional gov't can be divided into two subforms
1 - majority rule = mob rule
2 - majority rule with protection of the rights of the minority = Republic

All forms of gov't can be dangerous unless watched carefully by its citizens.

" Government, like fire, can be a fearful master"
Are we talking "Use only black or blue ball point pen. Press firmly, you are making three copies" forms, or "Use a number two pencil. Darken the bubble completely. If you need to change your answer, erase completely" forms?
(07-04-2009, 04:33 PM)trident59 Wrote: Aristotle missed one form; Constitutional gov't can be divided into two subforms
1 - majority rule = mob rule
2 - majority rule with protection of the rights of the minority = Republic

All forms of gov't can be dangerous unless watched carefully by its citizens.

" Government, like fire, can be a fearful master"

1 - majority rule = mob rule  => This is what he called democracy.

Aristotle's view was that the only way of the careful citizen watch is the clear constitution and the  adherence to the constitution. And this is our problem, that appointed brainwashed group (Supreme Court) could rewrite the constitution in the name of the interpretation.