Cakes: the painful truth
(07-07-2009, 09:47 AM)Spooky Wrote: Cake Wrecks http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

World's Worst Wedding Cakes http://www.uglyweddingcake.com/

Hahahahahha
(07-07-2009, 08:56 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 08:10 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Coco Crispies are the Chik Fil A of the breakfast cereal world.  Why would you combine Rice Krispies with chocolate?  Answer:  You wouldn't, unless you were a eugenicist who likes to muck with the natural order of things.  Bah!  And again I say, BAH!

[Image: Cleveland+Indians+v+Kansas+City+Royals+BLI_JRjQD9sl.jpg]

I rest my case.
(07-06-2009, 07:54 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 07:49 PM)Joamy Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 07:39 PM)libby Wrote: Joamy - is that monkey cake, or RV?

Pic was Red Velvet.  I don't have my prints back yet, but here is what the monkey cake looked like (almost, not quite - cupcakes for the ears in our case and just frosting.)

[Image: peanut-butter-monkey-cake-8098.jpg]

Those look suspiciously like pecans on that monkey's face.  May I say  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: ?

They do look like pecans. We didn't have any on our cake, though -you would have been a safe monkey, Doc.  :) :) :)
THOSE ARE COCOA KRISPIES.
pecans
no, it's pecans.

(07-04-2009, 09:16 AM)Katherine of Aragon Wrote: Ok, here it is.

I don't really like cake.

There are a few exceptions (carrot cake, German chocolate cake, and yogurt-spice cake), but that is all.  Cake is just all right.  It's edible; it's fine.  It's just nothing special.

I have made cakes for years.  Marble-swirl, chocolate, yellow, double-chocolate snack cake, the better-than-most-but-still-just-a-cake red velvet cake, white cake, etc. But they're nothing I really want.

It's just that, whenever I get ready to bake something (which is several times a week), cake is not really on the radar.  Carrot cake is what I make for my husband's birthday, and for me, German chocolate cake entails making from-scratch caramel coconut icing--meaning I make the caramel from scratch, too.  ::)  It's a pain.  I sometimes make yogurt-spice cake, which is more a snack-cake.  It is not iced, and it is not that sweet.  It goes well with coffee.

I bake cookies, bars, and pies.  I make cheesecake.  I make fudge (rocky road fudge, actually).  I just . . . try to avoid making cakes anymore.

Is this normal?  Is there help for me?   ;) Or should I simply give up on cake and accept that the memories I have of cakes in childhood (which I made myself then, too) are rose-colored?

Just read this initial post, but I'm thinking that you do like cake.  You just don't like the cakes you have been making.  It's just like people who say they don't like beer.  They just haven't found the beer they like.  Also, one must consider the things associated with cake.  Perhaps if you had a good cup of coffee (or some other beverage, say coffee with Irish whiskey) you might find a new appreciation for your cakes.  To your point about making a cake from scratch:  it is a pain, but without suffering one cannot experience joy, no?  My wife just made her, now famous, chocolate cake.  It requires specific cocoa for the cake, as well as buttermilk, eggs, cream, and for the icing a certain chocolate, plus my own freshly brewed coffee (as an ingredient).  Some work, no doubt, but worth it.  Do not make a cake from a box and expect to like it.
(07-13-2009, 11:34 PM)Anthem Wrote: Just read this initial post, but I'm thinking that you do like cake.  You just don't like the cakes you have been making.  It's just like people who say they don't like beer.  They just haven't found the beer they like.  Also, one must consider the things associated with cake.  Perhaps if you had a good cup of coffee (or some other beverage, say coffee with Irish whiskey) you might find a new appreciation for your cakes.  To your point about making a cake from scratch:  it is a pain, but without suffering one cannot experience joy, no?  My wife just made her, now famous, chocolate cake.  It requires specific cocoa for the cake, as well as buttermilk, eggs, cream, and for the icing a certain chocolate, plus my own freshly brewed coffee (as an ingredient).  Some work, no doubt, but worth it.  Do not make a cake from a box and expect to like it.

Oh, I never make boxed anything.  I grew up in Europe and Japan when boxes of cake-mix or whatever were not available.  In fact, they are still not available!  :P  I make everything from scratch, including icings.  It is just that making the coconut-caramel icing for the German chocolate cake requires making caramel from scratch, too.  And that is tedious.  I make caramel; then I make caramel-coconut icing; and then I make the cake part, all from scratch.  It's good, very good, but I rarely have that kind of time.  (I am a mother of five, and I homeschool.)  I also have to specially order the coconut.

My husband's tastes have changed, too, over the course of our married life.  When we were first married, he actually liked decorator icing, the kind on wedding cakes.  He ate extra icing at my sister's wedding.  Now, he does not like any icing except for mine, particularly the cream-cheese one I put on carrot cake.  Everything else is "too sweet."  He does not like things to be too sweet.

Right now I have banana pudding in the refrigerator, and, if I am feeling well enough, I am going to make some cookies.  (I've been sick and running a fever of 39.1.)

Still no cakes.
Hope you get to feeling better, Katherine.
(07-15-2009, 10:16 PM)Texican Wrote: Hope you get to feeling better, Katherine.

Thank you!  I'm improving, slowly but surely.  And now Baby #5 has the chicken pox.  Sigh.  At least all the others have already had it.