Cakes: the painful truth
Boxed cake mixes are the work of Satan, glamorous worldly pomps designed to make people think that they're getting real cake for a minimum of work. In fact they are not much less work than making a basic cake from scratch -- what, you just don't have to measure flour and baking powder? -- and the end result is not a cake.
(07-16-2009, 07:32 AM)Satori Wrote: Boxed cake mixes are the work of Satan, glamorous worldly pomps designed to make people think that they're getting real cake for a minimum of work. In fact they are not much less work than making a basic cake from scratch -- what, you just don't have to measure flour and baking powder? -- and the end result is not a cake.

Yeah - I've never figured that one out either.  I am not ever going to win against the Ace of Cakes, but I can do a basic scratch cake that comes out pretty good.  :) 
Cake mixes are just . . . not very good. I have not found mix anything to be very good.  I only had the opportunity to try it when we would visit the US from time to time when I was growing up, but mixes never tasted very good.

Oh well.

I'm still trying to figure out why even from-scratch cakes are just all right for me.  ???
(07-16-2009, 08:05 PM)Katherine of Aragon Wrote: Cake mixes are just . . . not very good. I have not found mix anything to be very good.  I only had the opportunity to try it when we would visit the US from time to time when I was growing up, but mixes never tasted very good.

Oh well.

I'm still trying to figure out why even from-scratch cakes are just all right for me.  ???

Because you just don't like starchy things? I don't know. Do you like pies better?
(07-16-2009, 09:06 PM)Satori Wrote: Because you just don't like starchy things? I don't know. Do you like pies better?

If it were not for my deep and abiding love for bread, I would assume it was, as you suggest, a dislike of starchy things.  I do love pie, though.  Black forest pie, lemon pie, chocolate pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, really pretty much any kind of pie.  ;D

Hmm.  Maybe I should make pie come Monday.  It's a holiday, and we're having guests.  Pie sounds good.  :P
:eats:
(07-17-2009, 12:34 AM)Katherine of Aragon Wrote:
(07-16-2009, 09:06 PM)Satori Wrote: Because you just don't like starchy things? I don't know. Do you like pies better?

If it were not for my deep and abiding love for bread, I would assume it was, as you suggest, a dislike of starchy things.  I do love pie, though.  Black forest pie, lemon pie, chocolate pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, really pretty much any kind of pie.  ;D

Hmm.  Maybe I should make pie come Monday.  It's a holiday, and we're having guests.  Pie sounds good.  :P

Sweet Potato pie (I refused to eat this when I was young due to the fact that I couldn't get over the idea that a pie could be made from potatoes, but my Step-Mother tricked us one Thanksgiving telling us it was pumpkin and then revealed the truth after we devoured our portion and exclaimed how excellent it was), How about Custards? I always loved these growing up. The Cafeteria that my family would go to always had a good egg custard with nutmeg on top. They stopped since I think it is a little expensive and goes bad quickly. Which also brings me up the Custard Tarts that I saw the character Lionel in "As Time Goes By" always eating and I couldn't find anything like it.
Custard is very easy to make. You should indulge yourself, Mac.

Katherine, it sounds as though you just like your sweets fresh, fruity and juicy. Nothing wrong with that. My husband prefers pies to cakes. We'll tease you over your dislike of cakes, but in the end there is no accounting for taste. Yes, you should make a pie this weekend!
(07-17-2009, 07:38 AM)Satori Wrote: Custard is very easy to make. You should indulge yourself, Mac.

Katherine, it sounds as though you just like your sweets fresh, fruity and juicy. Nothing wrong with that. My husband prefers pies to cakes. We'll tease you over your dislike of cakes, but in the end there is no accounting for taste. Yes, you should make a pie this weekend!

Well, at least there are things I like.  My nephews end up with ice cream every year for their birthday because they like nothing sweet apart from ice cream and (my) chocolate chip cookies.  ???
I'm making a summer pudding to take to a dinner this evening. Perhaps you would like this? It's basically nothing but jacked-up bread and fruit with whipped cream!