Cakes: the painful truth
(07-17-2009, 01:17 PM)Satori Wrote: I'm making a summer pudding to take to a dinner this evening. Perhaps you would like this? It's basically nothing but jacked-up bread and fruit with whipped cream!

Now that sounds delicious! We should have a recipe thread.

Edit: typo
Who likes wedding cake best?  :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!:

Yea, that's right.
The summer pudding was delicious, Katherine. Here's how you make it:

Generously butter a big glass bowl. Cut about 10 slices of good white bread, not too thick, and cut the crusts off. Arrange them so that they line the sides and bottom of the bowl with no big cracks between (I had to accomplish this in part by cutting several pieces of bread into odd little shapes that patched holes here and there). Take fresh, very ripe berries -- raspberries and blueberries, cherries and blackberries -- whatever you like that looks good at the market -- and wash, pit, and stem them. The prepared fruit (minus pits) should weigh about two pounds. Stir them together with about a cup of sugar in a big saucepan over a low flame (more sugar if the fruit is very tart). Stir them till the sugar dissolves and the berries are good and juiced up -- it doesn't take long, you don't want them to get soggy. Pour the whole juicy mess into your bread-lined bowl and arrange more bread over the top till it's all covered, the way you hide junk under a bedspread when you're a kid told to clean your room. THEN you weight it all down with something heavy, like a smaller bowl with a few sacks of dried beans or rice -- something that weighs a few pounds. Stick it in the fridge overnight. By the next day, the juice should have completely saturated the bread and the whole thing should be a lovely purply-red color. Now supposedly you can run a knife along the edge and unmold the thing onto a plate, which looks very pretty, but I didn't dare try it with mine. I just dipped big scoops out of it. However you serve it, top it with plenty of chantilly cream. It's a beautiful dessert, and not too heavy or rich.
:eats:
(07-17-2009, 10:09 PM)Satori Wrote: The summer pudding was delicious, Katherine. Here's how you make it:

Generously butter a big glass bowl. Cut about 10 slices of good white bread, not too thick, and cut the crusts off. Arrange them so that they line the sides and bottom of the bowl with no big cracks between (I had to accomplish this in part by cutting several pieces of bread into odd little shapes that patched holes here and there). Take fresh, very ripe berries -- raspberries and blueberries, cherries and blackberries -- whatever you like that looks good at the market -- and wash, pit, and stem them. The prepared fruit (minus pits) should weigh about two pounds. Stir them together with about a cup of sugar in a big saucepan over a low flame (more sugar if the fruit is very tart). Stir them till the sugar dissolves and the berries are good and juiced up -- it doesn't take long, you don't want them to get soggy. Pour the whole juicy mess into your bread-lined bowl and arrange more bread over the top till it's all covered, the way you hide junk under a bedspread when you're a kid told to clean your room. THEN you weight it all down with something heavy, like a smaller bowl with a few sacks of dried beans or rice -- something that weighs a few pounds. Stick it in the fridge overnight. By the next day, the juice should have completely saturated the bread and the whole thing should be a lovely purply-red color. Now supposedly you can run a knife along the edge and unmold the thing onto a plate, which looks very pretty, but I didn't dare try it with mine. I just dipped big scoops out of it. However you serve it, top it with plenty of chantilly cream. It's a beautiful dessert, and not too heavy or rich.

Remind me to invite myself over one of these days :P  ;)
It sounds like it would go great with a nice, chilled, crisp white.
(07-17-2009, 07:39 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Who likes wedding cake best?   :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!:

Yea, that's right.

Have a chunk of this . . . thing . . .
[Image: bridecake.jpg]
(07-18-2009, 02:49 AM)Spooky Wrote:
(07-17-2009, 07:39 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Who likes wedding cake best?   :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!: :hello!:

Yea, that's right.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCARY!
(07-18-2009, 02:49 AM)Spooky Wrote:

Yea, that's right.

The look on the bride's face is priceless.  "It sure seemed like a good idea when I ordered it."  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Maybe she's upset because the cake is more formally attired than she, with opera-length gloves instead of merely cocktail length. Or maybe it's that the cake has more bling.