Bp W column, 7.4.09
(07-04-2009, 11:13 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(07-04-2009, 11:03 PM)Gerard Wrote: I can't imagine a saintly woman having a vision and being told by God in the chapel.  "Go ye now and  work out in the gym for five hours. And later when you're on the court, watch your backhand, make sure you follow through without going off your center of gravity.  Oh, and the shorts are fine, but it would help the fan base if you showed a little more skin." 

I can't imagine a saintly man having a vision and being told by God in the chapel "go and spend your time posting on an Internet forum."

But it is more likely than the former.   ;D

In order for the comparison to be analogous, God would have to come to me in a vision and tell me he wants me to be a cross-dressing cabaret singer specializing in an Edith Piaf impersonation.  
This is stupid. You're under the assumption that women playing sports is intrinsically immoral like cross dressing....and you defend such a belief by asking us, hypothetically, if we would think God would command such a thing in a mystical vision. The flaws in your logic is astonishing.
(07-04-2009, 02:15 PM)Anastasia Wrote: Ummm, you can still play tennis during your period (I presume that's what he's referring to) with the pads, in the same way you can do any activity during your period. It's a awfully big stretch of logic to say that women will necessarily want to suppress their fertility just so that they can play a game.

Just as its a big stretch to attribute Europe's declining fertility rates to women playing tennis at Wimbledon.  He's probably correct that many of these tennis players do use contraception, however so does a large percentage of all the women in Europe (and most of them do not play professional tennis).  Correlation doesn't imply causation.
(07-05-2009, 12:31 AM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote:
(07-04-2009, 02:15 PM)Anastasia Wrote: Ummm, you can still play tennis during your period (I presume that's what he's referring to) with the pads, in the same way you can do any activity during your period. It's a awfully big stretch of logic to say that women will necessarily want to suppress their fertility just so that they can play a game.

Just as its a big stretch to attribute Europe's declining fertility rates to women playing tennis at Wimbledon.  He's probably correct that many of these tennis players do use contraception, however so does a large percentage of all the women in Europe (and most of them do not play professional tennis).  Correlation doesn't imply causation.

LOL

Quote:Can then the countrymen of Wimbledon, Roland Garros and Flushing Meadows, etc., be surprised if their native birth-rates are collapsing?

Wow.  Like MMC said.  It's a HUGE stretch to say women's tennis/professional sports is behind the drop in fertility rates in Europe.

What a joke.
I do agree that the women tennis players could wear more modest clothing, at least bermuda shorts.  Oops...wait...shorts are a bifurcated garment.  :o  Nevermind.  :-[  :laughing:

Also, is Bishop Williamson saying that professional female tennis players are trying to be men or just seduce them?  ???
My only complaint is the load shrieking that has become en vogue amongst female tennis players. Who knew Monica Seles would be a trend setter.  :o
Women modestly playing a game for fun and recreation is one thing, but professional sports is something else. Female professional sports is just unnatural,  masculine, and weird.
Why is it unnatural? Being paid makes it wrong? Why is being plaid masculine?
(07-05-2009, 03:08 AM)SaintRafael Wrote: Women modestly playing a game for fun and recreation is one thing, but professional sports is something else. Female professional sports is just unnatural,  masculine, and weird.

BMX is cool.  For women, too.
(07-05-2009, 08:45 AM)Underdog Wrote:
(07-05-2009, 03:08 AM)SaintRafael Wrote: Women modestly playing a game for fun and recreation is one thing, but professional sports is something else. Female professional sports is just unnatural,  masculine, and weird.

BMX is cool.  For women, too.

"You can't take their place!"