ACORN's Illegal Census; Constitutional Requirements
Alberta is BIG.  Probably a great place, but the winters have got to be brutal.  But even in Alberta doing business for an American is tough.  The paper work is huge and the bribes are quite unreasonable.  The people in Calgary seemed like decent folks, but seeing all the moslems was surprising.

You might consider the Plains in the USA.  For conservative, leave you alone politics, and weather, you have parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska.  The Dakotas are great, but then you have those brutal winters again.  Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas have great weather and plenty of rain, but they have a large number of minorities and the resultant intrusive governments.  Wyoming is probably the best place or Idaho, but the weather is really bad in the winter.  Iowa is intriguing.  For weather and rain, it looks great.  They always vote kooky in the national elections, but I bet the local politics is pretty laid back.
How do you stop them from taking your GPS coordinates?
(07-06-2009, 08:28 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: I recently got to read some history regarding the French-Canadian side of my family, and to see what Canada has become since my how-many-ever-greats-grandfather was a fur trapper would break his heart.  He blazed some trails through Manitoba and into what is now North Dakota for the Church many years ago.  His entire way of life has basically been outlawed.  Good thing the government wasn't "helping" him back then.  Fargo wouldn't have a church!  Makes you wonder what the future generations will have to look back on and be proud of.

Oh, and a good use for the census questionnaire is BBQ starter!  ;D

That is so, so cool -

that he did that, and that y'all have records of it.

do you still live up there?

(07-07-2009, 12:31 AM)libby Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 08:28 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: I recently got to read some history regarding the French-Canadian side of my family, and to see what Canada has become since my how-many-ever-greats-grandfather was a fur trapper would break his heart.  He blazed some trails through Manitoba and into what is now North Dakota for the Church many years ago.  His entire way of life has basically been outlawed.  Good thing the government wasn't "helping" him back then.  Fargo wouldn't have a church!  Makes you wonder what the future generations will have to look back on and be proud of.

Oh, and a good use for the census questionnaire is BBQ starter!  ;D

That is so, so cool -

that he did that, and that y'all have records of it.

do you still live up there?

No, my Dad hated the winters so he got out.  We lived all over the US until settling in God forsaken Kansas.  I married a local and we moved around alot when he was in the military, but came back when he got out.  I can't catch a break, I tell ya'!  LOL

I started doing some research into the family name on the internet and actually found some pictures.  My 4th great grandfather tracked some trails so the Missionaries could bring the Faith to the Indians living in that area.  He built a church just outside of what is now Fargo, only to have it burn down 2 years later.  So he built another.  Then he went back to Quebec and married a wife and brought 2 of his brothers and their wives with him back to the area.  2 of his friends soon followed and next thing you know they had a little settlement.  It is kinda cool knowing some of your family history.  Here all this time I thought they were just another bunch of drunk Canadians!  Just kidding.  LOL

Have you seen this video?

(Like me, after watching it, you might think that the group was exhorting Québec to return to its Catholic values of yore … but apparently not.)