Vicodin, Percocet to be axed?
Accutane already got killed off.
(07-08-2009, 04:04 PM)Anthem Wrote:
(07-08-2009, 03:48 PM)timoose Wrote: I know there are  risks to aspirin but don't get hysterical. I have chronic pain and I use 16-24 ecotrins  per day, and I don't even get heart burn. I'd check out all the claims against baby aspirin before I'd trust the propaganda which has been foisted on all of us in the last forty years, concerning Tylenol.
tim

Depending on the strength you are using, that is a pretty hefty amount.  The problem with aspirin is the link between it and Reye's Syndrome.  You can google it if you like.  Giving aspirin to children with fevers is not advisable, but in my opinion, unless severe, most fevers should just run their course anyway.  Of course, I am a contrary fellow.   If one is going to do something for a child's fever, acetaminophen is a much better choice. 

I only give my child Tylenol (the baby stuff, a very small dose) when she seems to be in pain. I let her keep her fevers and wouldn't try to do anything about that unless it were a very high one, since I believe fever serves a purpose.
I was rarely given pain drugs as a child, and have not had any since I mini-OD'd by accident as a 15 year old.  Since then, I have messed up my back, broken an ankle, and broken a collarbone.  I don't plan on giving my kids pain pills for every little thing, as I don't see what good it does.  (But then, I've never found that they work...Vicodin actually makes me feel worse, because without drugs I can at least focus on something else...book, tv, etc...where as with it in my system, all I can think about is the pain.)
(07-08-2009, 02:43 PM)Satori Wrote: Really? I take Tylenol because I'm breastfeeding and not supposed to take aspirin. I also give Tylenol to my toddler to help her with teething pain. Now I'm wondering if aspirin, while verboten, might not be a lesser risk. Ticked off that nobody told me this.

In short NO  :)

Here: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html
(07-08-2009, 01:26 PM)Underdog Wrote: Just another example of the bloated fed govt trying to manage every little aspect of our lives.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31782102/ns/...alth_news/

Quote:If adopted by the Food and Drug Administration, the changes would lower the maximum over-the-counter Tylenol dose and would ban two narcotic painkillers, Vicodin and Percocet, which also contain acetaminophen.

Yet another painkiller, propoxyphene, was the target of FDA action on Tuesday. Also sold as Darvon and in an acetaminophen combination called Darvocet, it has been linked to accidental overdoses and suicides. The prescription medication will now come with a pamphlet describing the risk.

Yeah, who cares, none of these drugs ever worked for me anyway. In order to actually get any effect from Vicodin I had take an extra pill and wash it down with a bottle of wine.

There's better painkillers out there, I won't miss these.

And anything they lower the dose of to weaken it to make it 'safer', helpful hint, take it with a little booze, which functions as a catalyst to make the painkiller a bit more effective.
Morphine, now there's some good stuff. 
(07-08-2009, 10:14 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Morphine, now there's some good stuff. 

I guess it's good if you enjoy barfing.
Remember Qaaludes? Very 70's. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
HA! my older cousin told me about them things. pretty wild he said. any one see jesus saves? apparently there is a Quaalude scene depicted in it.
sip sip
(07-08-2009, 10:17 PM)Mafalda Wrote:
(07-08-2009, 10:14 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Morphine, now there's some good stuff. 

I guess it's good if you enjoy barfing.

But I didn't barf.

Or maybe I did.  It's all rather fuzzy.  :crazy: