Vicodin, Percocet to be axed?
I'm generally not in favor of the government butting in to most things.  Painkillers, however, I will not miss.  ;)

I got some sort of Tylenol (I think, could have been Ibuprofen), in over-the-counter strength as painkiller with Baby #1.  Labor was 20+ hours.  With the others, I just skipped painkillers altogether.  I avoided painkillers for my broken collarbone, and even when I cracked my spine.  The doctor looked at my X-rays and said, "Oooohh.  I'll get you a painkiller prescription."  I was nursing Baby #2, so I said no.  After all, I had already carried and delivered two babies with that cracked spine.  The everyday pain was getting to be nothing.

That written, I still think the government should stay out.  Of course, I live in Japan.  I already have trouble getting over-the-counter ANYthing.
(07-09-2009, 08:10 PM)Katherine of Aragon Wrote: I'm generally not in favor of the government butting in to most things.  Painkillers, however, I will not miss.  ;)

I got some sort of Tylenol (I think, could have been Ibuprofen), in over-the-counter strength as painkiller with Baby #1.  Labor was 20+ hours.  With the others, I just skipped painkillers altogether.  I avoided painkillers for my broken collarbone, and even when I cracked my spine.  The doctor looked at my X-rays and said, "Oooohh.  I'll get you a painkiller prescription."  I was nursing Baby #2, so I said no.  After all, I had already carried and delivered two babies with that cracked spine.  The everyday pain was getting to be nothing.

That written, I still think the government should stay out.  Of course, I live in Japan.  I already have trouble getting over-the-counter ANYthing.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that is just unsound.  Pain actually hampers healing as it causes stress and the hormones released during high stress levels slow healing.  I can understand not wanting a baby to get high doses of something but this is why MDs have big books and computer access to Rx indexes that describe what should be given and when.

I have a very high pain tolerance but when healing is in the balance...tolerance just is not cutting it.

But then again, to each his own.
Tylenol is about as effective as a sugar pill for me. Ibuprofen and naproxen work well but 6 ulcers later I am not able to take them anymore.
I have two chronic pain disorders. tramadol (Ultram), cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) and the occasional Darvocet (which I am going to ask to be changed to Darvon). Better living through chemistry  :P
Irony, I have given birth 5 out of 8 times, inculding inductions, without any pain medication. I can take short term and severe, it's the neverending day in, day out, night in, night out chronic pain that does me in.

Not that it matters: Vicodin is somewhat effective but gives me a wicked hangover. Tylenol with codeine is effective but really knocks me out. Demerol doesn't do much for pain, just makes me loopy and morphine makes me itch horribly. I'd rather the pain, than the itching. The one time I took percocet (during a gall bladder attack) it didn't do all that much if I recall.
For the really bad stuff (surgery, broken bones) I'll take the codeine and leave everything else.
(07-10-2009, 01:39 PM)mom Wrote: Tylenol is about as effective as a sugar pill for me. Ibuprofen and naproxen work well but 6 ulcers later I am not able to take them anymore.
I have two chronic pain disorders. tramadol (Ultram), cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) and the occasional Darvocet (which I am going to ask to be changed to Darvon). Better living through chemistry  :P
Irony, I have given birth 5 out of 8 times, inculding inductions, without any pain medication. I can take short term and severe, it's the neverending day in, day out, night in, night out chronic pain that does me in.

Not that it matters: Vicodin is somewhat effective but gives me a wicked hangover. Tylenol with codeine is effective but really knocks me out. Demerol doesn't do much for pain, just makes me loopy and morphine makes me itch horribly. I'd rather the pain, than the itching. The one time I took percocet (during a gall bladder attack) it didn't do all that much if I recall.
For the really bad stuff (surgery, broken bones) I'll take the codeine and leave everything else.

Itching is worse than anything.
No kidding.  After babies #1 & #2 I had to take Benadryl for a couple days for the itching alone (felt like I'd been attacked by a swarm of mosquitos).
(07-09-2009, 03:19 PM)Texican Wrote:
(07-08-2009, 03:51 PM)Anthem Wrote: Normally I don't like the FDA messing around with what drugs are allowed and which are not, but acetaminophen probably should have never been made available over-the-counter.  Actually, over-the-counter is a misnomer.  That means without a prescription, i. e., your pharmacist can give it to you.  But who talks to a pharmacist anymore?   In years past, when even morphine was easy to get, people went to their local druggist and got good advice there.  Now everyone expects to buy their drugs, not just over-the-counter (without prescription), but off the shelf without consulting anyone.  Since we have an enormous number of stupid people in the country, drugs should be less accessible off the shelf.  However, I think more drugs should be available directly from a pharmacist without a prescription.  Everything in this country is bass-ackwards.

So, because some people are stupid, others are punished?  Come on in, Nanny-state...  We have a nice place picked out for you.  ::)

It's no punishment, just common sense.  Or, do you suppose we ought to have barbers performing brain surgery?  I didn't mention US.gov regulating this, now did I?  I suggested turning pharmacists back into pharmacists.  You automatically assume that means the government takes care of it?  So who is wishing for the nanny-state? 
(07-13-2009, 11:21 PM)Anthem Wrote: It's no punishment, just common sense.  Or, do you suppose we ought to have barbers performing brain surgery?  I didn't mention US.gov regulating this, now did I?  I suggested turning pharmacists back into pharmacists.  You automatically assume that means the government takes care of it?  

If sense was common, we wouldn't have people trying to self-medicate with things they know nothing about.  As for barbers performing brain surgery, what does that have to do with anything in my post?  If you'd like to have brain surgery performed by a barber, however...  good luck with that.

No, you didn't mention the government regulating anything, but then, who would regulate it?  Pharmacists?  What control do they have?  How can they enforce anything?  As far as I know, pharmacists are still pharmacists - a childhood friend happens to be one.  The only problem I see with pharmacists, is that they don't often have the time to talk to you - not everyone behind the counter is a pharmacist, they're mostly assistants, who work under the pharmacist.

Another thing - I'm not assuming anything, in this case, but if the past is any indication, it is wise to suspect that government would like to take control of that, too.  Again, who is it that would axe Vicodin or Percocet?

Quote:So who is wishing for the nanny-state?

I don't know...  You tell me.
So who's going to regulate it Texican?  You can't have it both ways.  I'm suggesting that whoever is regulating it allows pharmacists control the distribution of dangerous drugs.  That means taking some "off the shelf" stuff and putting them back behind the counter.  I also said that I thought the FDA ought not make so many drugs available only by prescription from a physician. I said in my original post that I did not like the FDA deciding things, but in this particular case propoxyphene ought to at least get a black box warning.  Right now, all we have is the FDA.  Unless you think the great monarch is right around the corner.  If no one regulates anything, then we could have barbers performing brain surgery, as has happened in the past.  What are you suggesting?
Anthem Wrote:If no one regulates anything, then we could have barbers performing brain surgery, as has happened in the past.

If someone wants to go to a barber for brain surgery, it's on them.  Caveat Emptor.

That's all I'm saying'.