Anyone else been in the truly unpleasant situation of being 'overemployed'?
(07-16-2009, 09:08 PM)Satori Wrote: "Head in the vice"?

Constant pressure. [Image: 42-17510038.jpg?size=572&uid=%7BD3C78590...D65354C%7D]
I worked as a long haul truck driver for the past 8 years. I was rarely home and much of my life outside work was neglected. Fortunately I am single as this surely would have stressed a marriage beyond the breaking point. I worked many more hours than I should have, generally 100 hours or more a week with little sleep and not much to show for it. I have health problems now directly related to this overwork/lack of sleep and am basically on my own. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am praying for a new career, along with a mate which I have not even looked for until now.
One of the things I do which helps me cope. Whenever I start that dialog where I rip myself apart or feel insecure, I recite the St. Michael's prayer. Destructive inner dialog only has one source and it does not come from God.

God and your employers obviously believe you can handle it, you just need to get out of your own way.
(07-20-2009, 12:07 AM)Matthew_R Wrote: I worked as a long haul truck driver for the past 8 years. I was rarely home and much of my life outside work was neglected. Fortunately I am single as this surely would have stressed a marriage beyond the breaking point. I worked many more hours than I should have, generally 100 hours or more a week with little sleep and not much to show for it. I have health problems now directly related to this overwork/lack of sleep and am basically on my own. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am praying for a new career, along with a mate which I have not even looked for until now.

Good news is, you're a young guy still. I will pray for you to find a mate, and whatever career is God's will for you.  Pray

Consider developing a prayer relationship with St. Joseph, he understands a man wanting a spouse and family, and as a carpenter, the need to work to support a family.
(07-15-2009, 04:52 PM)Beatissima Mariae Wrote: Without going into great detail, I was working in a department that was being dissolved, and was able to transfer to a new department. As it turns out, even though I made it through two interviews and was hired, I've since discovered I'm in way over my head.

So now, I daily trudge through, but find myself constantly secretly planning an exit strategy. I know I may be able to stay on at least for a few months, maybe even longer, but I can tell you, I am not having fun. The stress is overbearing at times. I got my first red flag when I came home one day and I could not muster any emotion to match my exuberant kids. I felt like a zombie. Not to say I've never had days like that before in other jobs, I have, and that's pretty normal, we all have stress. But it's chronic now, and my default mood seems to be grumpy sprinkled with anxiety.  ;D

But as far as being 'overemployed', I just have enough self-actualization to know so. When you know, you know. A high school football player will make the same self assessment if he plays on an NFL team.

Anyway, anyone else been in, or is currently in this situation? What did you do to get by and cope?
It's not overemployed for me, it's over my head. Same line of work, new product line. Everything I knew is useless. The learning curve is more like a vertical wall.

I found it helpful to share my ignorance with the others. They answered my questions. And I absorbed it. After six months I was comfortable most of the time. After a year, most everything's old hat. As long as you aren't being called into the boss' office for a discussion, you're probably doing as well as they expect you to be doing.