Maple Pecan Oat Bread Recipe
A family favorite. Tom and I recently started a small-scale maple syrup operation (we produced about 38 gallons of real maple syrup this year. New York State is second only to Vermont in maple syrup production in the USA. My ancestral homeland, Quebec, leads the way, by far, for North America) and are selling at local farmers markets. It is so much fun. We are also selling maple sugar, maple mustard, jams and preserves, quilts and sun bonnets and Tom's wood decoys and handmade wood toys. The children help all day Saturday and love to take people's money and count out their change. Cute "trad" girls in dresses and braids are a big selling tool  LOL

Please do not use artificial maple syrup. It is nothing but corn syrup (which is awful for you) and artificial flavorings. Support maple syrup farmers, spend a little more and buy the real thing. The taste of real maple syrup is amazing

Maple Pecan Oat Bread
(makes 1 loaf)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons hot water
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup butter (melted)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
water
3 tablespoons maple sugar

Directions:
1. Mix the hot water (reserve 2 tablespoons), oats, pecans, butter, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
    in a separate bowl mix remaining hot water,  maple syrup and yeast. Mix well until it resembles a creamy   
    foamy mixture
2. Add the flours and yeast to the other mixture and stir to form a dough. You may need to add more flour.
3. Knead the dough for 10 minutes on a floured board, table or counter until smooth and very elastic.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it rise in a warm place to double its size, about 60-90 
    minutes.
5. Deflate (punch!!  Jabs) the dough, knead for 3-4 more minutes and form it into an 8 inch long log.
6. Place the dough into a greased loaf pan, cover and let it rise over the edge, about 60-90 minutes.
7. Brush the top with water and sprinkle with the maple sugar.
8. Bake in a preheated 350F for 35-40 minutes. Cover in foil after the first 15 minutes to prevent burning.
9. Let cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan.

Serve with maple butter. This is made by mixing 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup to a stick of softened butter and beating vigorously.

http://www.nysmaple.com/
Do you sell maple sugar candies like the leaf- and people-shaped ones you can buy in New England? I get a box every year from the Vermont Country Store, but they are ungodly expensive.
Satori, as I was writing this you posted my same question - I love that stuff!  You can often find them in Whole Foods, but they get $2.99 for two tiny pilgrims (a he and a she). At the candy shops on Cape Cod they go for $1 each, and they're bigger.

My folks were Yankee and Quebecois, and so I grew up eating maple walnut everything - you can make an insane maple walnut syrup which, when poured warm over vanilla ice cream, will make people weep with joy.  

(07-21-2009, 10:13 AM)Satori Wrote: Do you sell maple sugar candies like the leaf- and people-shaped ones you can buy in New England? I get a box every year from the Vermont Country Store, but they are ungodly expensive.

We might next season. We did not have the molds to shape them this year. Right now we just sell the maple sugar in small blocks for cooking, baking and eating. My husband is seriously frugal (and he is a Southerner, not a Yankee  LOL) and did not want to invest in them until we saw how sales went (going well, Deo gratias).

We sell our syrup according to it's grade. Grade A (amber) is the most expensive Grade B and the dark cooking grades are less. The funny thing is that, as a family, We prefer the darker grades  ;D
(07-21-2009, 08:51 AM)Joan of Arc Wrote: A family favorite. Tom and I recently started a small-scale maple syrup operation (we produced about 38 gallons of real maple syrup this year. New York State is second only to Vermont in maple syrup production in the USA. My ancestral homeland, Quebec, leads the way, by far, for North America) and are selling at local farmers markets. It is so much fun. We are also selling maple sugar, maple mustard, jams and preserves, quilts and sun bonnets and Tom's wood decoys and handmade wood toys. The children help all day Saturday and love to take people's money and count out their change. Cute "trad" girls in dresses and braids are a big selling tool  LOL

Please do not use artificial maple syrup. It is nothing but corn syrup (which is awful for you) and artificial flavorings. Support maple syrup farmers, spend a little more and buy the real thing. The taste of real maple syrup is amazing

Maple Pecan Oat Bread
(makes 1 loaf)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons hot water
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup butter (melted)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
water
3 tablespoons maple sugar

Directions:
1. Mix the hot water (reserve 2 tablespoons), oats, pecans, butter, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
    in a separate bowl mix remaining hot water,  maple syrup and yeast. Mix well until it resembles a creamy   
    foamy mixture
2. Add the flours and yeast to the other mixture and stir to form a dough. You may need to add more flour.
3. Knead the dough for 10 minutes on a floured board, table or counter until smooth and very elastic.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it rise in a warm place to double its size, about 60-90 
    minutes.
5. Deflate (punch!!  Jabs) the dough, knead for 3-4 more minutes and form it into an 8 inch long log.
6. Place the dough into a greased loaf pan, cover and let it rise over the edge, about 60-90 minutes.
7. Brush the top with water and sprinkle with the maple sugar.
8. Bake in a preheated 350F for 35-40 minutes. Cover in foil after the first 15 minutes to prevent burning.
9. Let cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan.

Serve with maple butter. This is made by mixing 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup to a stick of softened butter and beating vigorously.

http://www.nysmaple.com/

This is pure torture. Now I want to jump in the car and drive 2500 miles for some maple bread. I was hungry to start with, now my mouth is watering. I really do need to get up that way some time. Thanks for the recipe.