Thoughts on Vatican II and a question for you
Pre-Vatican-II Catholicism is something I've only been able to experience secondarily--through the reminiscences of others, through reading, by inference--so I can't bring any empiricism to the discussion. I should also out myself as more of a trad sympathizer than a trad per se. The nearest TLM to my home, which happens to be in faculty housing at the nominally Catholic boarding school where I teach, is 45 minutes away; I went once and found it alienating (as some here might recall), though I would really like to be situated in such a way as to be able to go frequently and give it a fair chance. This would be easier if I weren't implicitly expected to attend the NO (and often quite deformed, to crib a mot juste from the Holy Father) chapel services at my school for 8 months out of the year and if my spouse were a little more on board with going out of our geographical way for something that, as she understands it, we can get right down the street in a perfectly valid form. The only other TLM I've attended was eleven years ago at St. Alphonsus in Baltimore, when I was I merely a Catholic sympathizer, but it definitely made an impression on me.

That said, I think this is a brave line of discussion, and I'm interested to see how it unfolds!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thoughts on Vatican II and a question for you - by WilfredLeblanc - 07-23-2009, 03:51 PM