Thoughts on Vatican II and a question for you
(07-23-2009, 09:43 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(07-23-2009, 09:27 PM)Stubborn Wrote:
(07-23-2009, 08:55 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Was something needed?  Yes.  What what came out of the Vatican II Council the thing that was needed?  No.

Briefly, the people that were causing the trouble in the 30s, 40s, and 50s went into the council, changed the agenda, and used it to get all kinds of ambiguous nonsense ratified to enable the junk we see now.

The problem was not a lack of involvement by the laity because the laity rarely got involved any more in 1650 than in 1950.  We have seen extreme involvement by the laity post-V2, and, it obviously turned out not-so-hot.

Now see, I think there was a severe lack of involvement of the laity, but not in the fact that they played no noteworthy roll at Mass.

I am speaking mainly about the fact that parents were at least somewhat negligent in promulgating the faith to their own children. Preferring un-involvement and leaving their primary duty of the eduction of their children to others.

Don't get me wrong, I could be off base, but my thinking here is because of how I was raised. Namely, the faith I have was handed down to me through my parents, as was handed down to them through their parents and so on. When they saw their children being taught and / or exposed to things harmful to the faith they were taught, my folks did whatever they had to do to maintain our education against the overwhelming influences that were everywhere, even in their own church.

Any way, sorry for the rant, but if the laity remained more involved in the faith, they would have stood fast and never changed.

No, you have a good point there, and I've heard it made before.  People sent their kids to Catholic school thinking it would make them Catholic and not doing anything at home (or checking on what they were teaching at the schools).  Even by the time I was in grade school in the 70's, there were few orthodox nuns left and I remember learning a bunch of iffy things.  My parents assumed I was being taught to be a good Catholics along with the 3 Rs.

Oh thank goodness you seem to completely understand what I mean.

Too many parents were lulled into trusting [previously trustworthy] Catholic authority and therefore took not only the faith, but also one of their primary duties as parents for granted, namely, the procreation and education of their children for granted.

Well, as it turns out, toady, we can see what happens when the faith is taken for granted. :(  

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thoughts on Vatican II and a question for you - by Stubborn - 07-23-2009, 09:55 PM