Thoughts on Vatican II and a question for you
(07-25-2009, 05:22 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(07-25-2009, 04:31 PM)lamentabili sane Wrote:
(07-25-2009, 03:57 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: My understanding was that Fr. Feeney was excommunicated because he failed to appear in Rome after several summons – a direct disobedience to legitimate Church authority. Of course, the summons was related to his strict interpretation of EENS, but that’s not why he was excommunicated per se. It is also my understanding that he was reconciled to the Church before his death. Interesting that he fought what he perceived to be liberalism in the Church even in the 1940s. 

- Lisa 

How do you know this?

I don't know this. Gee, I'm sorry. I guess I should have said he was probably summoned to Rome because of his position on EENS. Maybe the bigger question is WHY Fr. Feeeny never made it to Rome. If he didn't know the reason for the summons, maybe he should have just went to Rome and found out.

- Lisa 

Personally I think he should have just gone away in order to settle the question. However he was being summoned to discuss "his doctrine." According to Canon Law one cannot be summoned to a trial without being told the charges. Him and Rome went back and forth with the Holy Office refusing to say why he was being summoned. He reasoned that he had no obligation to go to Rome and that all punishment resulting from his reluctance was null and void. That's why his "excommunication" was not valid.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thoughts on Vatican II and a question for you - by didishroom - 07-26-2009, 10:07 AM