Why was England so interested in conquering Ireland?
(07-24-2009, 07:51 PM)Tobri Wrote: I have been reading up on English history (bought a book about the Civil War not too long ago), and I am curious to see opinions. Why exactly was England practically from her unification until the early 20th century so hell bent on conquering Ireland? Heck they still own 1/4 of the place in the 21st century - but I suppose all those centuries of English plantations and Scottish refugees arriving Northern Ireland is more of it's own entity now when compared to the rest of Ireland.

Is the soil there good or something or is it simply because England was power thirsty and France was too powerful so they settled for their neighbor? I can't see any other practical reason for England (medieval to empire) to want to own an economically poor Island with inhabitants hostile to foreign occupation. Especially post reformation which like tripled the Irish dislike of England when they shut down the Irish monasteries and suppressed the Church there etc... what benefit did England gain?

In short, during 1100's, it was a power/land hungry thing.....both countries Catholic, but since "reformation".more Cursh the Catholics........English invented the word imperialist!!! Albannach!!

English are aggressive bastards......

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why was England so interested in conquering Ireland? - by Belloc - 07-27-2009, 08:31 AM