Assisted Suicide vs. "Do Not Resuscitate"
I sent by PM a link to some end of life information from the National Catholic Bioethics Center's website - but for everyone else, here it is:
http://www.ncbcenter.org/eol.asp

I also suggest a very good (and short) book by my Archbishop, Jose Gomez of San Antonio, called A Will to Live: Clear Answers on End of Life Issues. It is part of the "Shepherd's Voice Series" from Basilica Press http://www.basilicapress.com/ . Well worth the $5.95.

God Bless,
David
(08-05-2009, 10:09 PM)Stubborn Wrote: While I agree with DNR, I think each case must be dealt separately and as prudently as possible.

No hard, fast, overall rule here imo. 

The wank in the brink of the death can not express his/her decision. So the problem is: do the relatives, or in many cases
the Medical industry make the decision or if one have legal DNR this closes the case.

As for anyone's one year in Earth, it also makes them farther away from the eternity with some risk for better or worse.

We have to right to decide what to do,  a nothing could justify someone else's intervention. 
This is personal, and I hope Scipio will answer this. How old is old in what you said? I'm sixty-one and have load of symptoms for which I am medicated. My original Doctor wanted me to make a living will ten years ago, and I attributed his request to the insurance and him not wanting to make the decision. I didn't think/feel that my death was at hand, though he with all his scientific information thought it was indicated. I don't want to linger at the door of death being held their by whacky artificial means, but I don't want to go early either. I, unlike many it seems, think that a little more time here would improve my soul. I lived a very wicked past, and then by the grace of God I was brought back, so I'm playing a little catch-up. One thought which comes to my mind is this; if God says it is my time no doctor will be able to revive me, and if I am revived and if the remainder of my life is personally a problem, it is God's mercy at work in my soul.
tim 
(08-06-2009, 12:10 AM)orate Wrote: I don't know how helpful this would be, but this is a "Catholic" Living Will devised by a trad Cath lawyer.  He had an SSPX priest review it and that priest found it to be in keeping with traditional Catholic morals.  If you want to know the name of the priest or lawyer pm me.

DECLARATION CONCERNING MEDICAL TREATMENT

This declaration is made this         day of                            , 2005. I, ______________, being of sound mind, willfully and voluntarily state my desires concerning medical treatment that would postpone the moment of my death.

Except as specifically provided below, I direct my health care providers to use all medical treatment that would 1) preserve my life, 2) cure or improve my physical or mental condition or 3) reduce or prevent my physical or mental deterioration.

I direct my health care providers to provide me with food and fluids orally, intravenously, by tube, or by other means to the full extent necessary to preserve my life and to assure my optimal health.

I direct that medication be administered to me, including painkillers, provided that this medication is not used to cause my death. I direct that cardiopulmonary resuscitation and all other necessary medical and surgical procedures be used to the full extent necessary to correct, reverse or alleviate life threatening or health impairing conditions and complications arising from those conditions.

I reject any treatment that uses an organ or tissue of another person obtained in a manner that causes, contributes to or hastens that person's death. I also reject any treatments that use an organ or tissue of an unborn or newborn child who has been subject to an induced abortion.

I direct that I receive all medical treatment and care to preserve my life without regard to my age, physical or mental ability, the "quality" of my life or the "dignity" of my death.

If I should have an incurable and irreversible injury, disease or illness judged to be a terminal condition by my attending physician who has personally examined me and who considers that even with maximum medical treatment, I have less than three months probable, foreseeable life expectancy, I direct that I not be kept alive artificially through major surgery, chemotherapy and cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

Living Will of ___________
Page 1 of 2

However, in no case do I wish to be deprived of food, fluids and common medications such as antibiotics.

In the absence of my ability to give directions regarding my medical treatment, it is my intention that this declaration shall be honored by my family and physician as the final expression of my legal right to direct the medical or surgical treatment I am given.

City, County and State of Residence: __________________________.

The declarant is personally known to me and I believe her to be of sound mind. I did not sign the declarant's signature above for or at the direction of the declarant. At the date of this instrument, I am not entitled to any portion of the estate of the declarant according to the laws of intestate succession or, to the best of my knowledge and belief, under any Will of declarant or other instrument taking effect at declarant's death. I am not directly financially responsible for declarant's medical care.

Witness: _______________________  Witness: _________________________

Address: _______________________   Address: ________________________

Living Will of ____________

Page 2 of 2
/left]

Thank you for posting this.  Both my parents have one and it has greatly relieved my mind.  We found out the hard way that you can't even trust doctors in a "Catholic" hospital, so it can all be very hard to sort through.  This is a wonderful document.
Thanks for all the useful information and sites!

Of course we must respect all views on this very personal and sensitive subject. I think this is one issue even the Church, in its wisdom, would not encroach on the personal conscience of its members.

IMO, whether one has made a prior the 'Living Will' or given a verbal instruction at 'death bed' to a personal agent or a close member of the family, a moment is reached when a decision got to be for 'DNR'. It is this 'hinging moment' that is the crux of the matter. For a believer, the moment focuses the question: have I cooperated with God's will till the end? I suppose we never will know. Philosophically, perhaps we should not be bothered with the end, just as we couldn't ask when to be born. Just pray for a happy death!  : :pray:
yep