Is it improper to pray for the conversion of someone who is Orthdox Catholic?
I have a very good friend from college who is a convert to the OCA catholic church. Prior to that he was protestant.

Is it improper to pray for his conversion to the Roman Catholic Church? I feel quite strongly that I should do so. He's probably praying for my conversion to the OCA FWIW.
(07-25-2009, 10:41 PM)dakotamidnight Wrote: I have a very good friend from college who is a convert to the OCA catholic church. Prior to that he was protestant.

Is it improper to pray for his conversion to the Roman Catholic Church? I feel quite strongly that I should do so. He's probably praying for my conversion to the OCA FWIW.

As a convert from Orthodoxy, I'm very glad that my Catholic friends prayed for my conversion! Pray for his.
It is not only entirely appropriate but very good to pray for the conversion of anyone who is not Catholic to the Catholic Church!

I will pray for your friend's conversion as well :pray:
Orthodox Catholic? Either a person is Catholic or Eastern "Orthodox" (not really they're schismatics). Roman Catholic Church, which is Eastern and Western, is the only real orthodox (right and true) Church.

The OCA is not Catholic nor a part of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. They are a schismatic Eastern sect: http://www.oca.org/QA.asp?ID=197&SID=3
Absolutely not. While you're at it, pray that the entire Orthodox Church comes along with your friend. It's a giant scandal for both the Latin and Orthodox leaders that this split has gone on for as long as it has.
Credo Wrote:It's a giant scandal for both the Latin and Orthodox leaders that this split has gone on for as long as it has.
Why is that? Those "Orthodox leaders" were in no way ever formally a part of the Church. They are Eastern Schismatics, not Eastern Catholics.
(07-25-2009, 11:04 PM)Credo Wrote: Absolutely not. While you're at it, pray that the entire Orthodox Church comes along with your friend. It's a giant scandal for both the Latin and Orthodox leaders that this split has gone on for as long as it has.

There is a prayer in my UCC prayerbook for unity. When I have time, I'll post it here.
(07-25-2009, 10:41 PM)dakotamidnight Wrote: I have a very good friend from college who is a convert to the OCA catholic church. Prior to that he was protestant.

I don't see why not. If you feel uncomfortable with that kind of prayer, than just ask that your friend would whatever path the Lord has laid before him.
Would their conversion be good? 

How can praying for something good (and by good, I mean good in the eyes of God) for someelse be "improper"?
Remember that the Orthodox Church (and we are right to call it a "Church" since they have valid Sacraments and Apostolic Succession) is a might trickier issue than any of the Protestant "ecclesial communities". And in some ways, one has to wonder whether the Orthodox are much worse off than us Catholics. They have done a much better job at keeping Protestant mush out of their doctrines and they maintain much stronger doctrinal integrity (I understand everyone from the lowest layperson all the way up to high-level Bishop can get excommunicated on the spot if they even mention heretical doctrine as being legit; we Catholics seem to elevate lowly laypersons to the Bishopric when they discuss heretical doctrine as legit).