Okay if Majority of Prayers Directed to Mother Mary, Saints and Angels?
Currently, in my prayer life, much of my prayers are directed to Mother Mary (i.e. Devotion of the Three Hail Marys, Rosary, kissing of the Brown Scapular and now a prayer I composed asking Mother Mary to acquire grace, mercy and forgiveness for us). I also have a homemade litany of prayers to various Saints and Archangel Michael asking for their intercession (both in general and for specific things). Anyway, is it okay for our prayers to be primarily directed towards Saints?

Here are the copies of the prayers I composed just so you can see what I am getting at:

Quote:PRAYER TO THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY FOR MERCY, GRACE AND FORGIVENESS

Holy Mary, Mother of God and Lady of Mercy, we confess to you and to Almighty God that we are sinners, transgressors of the Holy Law, undeserving of Your Son’s mercy and love. Most Loving Mother, we ask you to intercede on our behalf, to implore Your Most Glorious and Merciful Son to forgive us our sins and have mercy on us.

Mother Mary, Queen of Heaven, ask Your Son to shower us with his infinite grace and compassion, to show us mercy in that last day, to save us from the sufferings of Hell. Please, Holy Mary, Immaculate Virgin, we know we are undeserving of your attention and love, but plead for our forgiveness, for our final pardon and entry into Your Son’s Heavenly Kingdom. Ask Him to keep us in eternal life, to protect us from sin, to save us from everlasting punishment.

For all our sins and transgressions, please intercede on our behalf. Acquire from Your Son the grace to overcome our sins. Ask Him to have mercy on us, to look upon us with His great compassion.

Most Blessed Virgin, we are unworthy of His grace, but please pray for us.
Most Merciful Virgin, we are unworthy of His mercy, but please pray for us.
Most Charitable Virgin, we are undeserving of His love, but please pray for us.
Holy Mary, Our Most Loving and Dear Mother, please pray for us now and at the hour of our death.

For the forgiveness of our sins, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of our lusts, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of our wrongful anger and hatred, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of our greed, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of our gluttony, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of our sloth, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of our envy and jealousy, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of our pride and self-righteousness, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of dishonesty, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of divisive speech, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of blasphemy and profanity, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of forgotten sins, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of inappropriate thoughts, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of wrongful deeds, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of presumption on Our Lord’s mercy and grace, please pray for us.
For the forgiveness of all sins of omission, please pray for us.
\For the forgiveness of all our sins, mortal and venial, please pray for us.

Most Blessed Virgin Mary, acquire for us the grace to have perfect contrition, to go to Confession, do penance, and amend our lives. Mother Mary, look after us, your unworthy children, and keep us on the path of eternal life and, as we stumble and fall, pray for us to the Lord Our God that He might show us mercy and keep us always in His fellowship. Holy Mary, thank you for your numerous intercessions on our behalf, for all your prayers and for Your Most Precious Son, Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us.
Holy Mary, Mother of God and Queen of Heaven and Earth, pray for us.

Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be
Act of Contrition

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (--make the Sign of the Cross--). Amen.

Quote:PERSONAL PRAYER CONCLUSION LITANY

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and Earth, and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, please pray for me.

St. Teresa of Avila, noble Doctor of the Church and my patron saint, please pray for me.

St. Anthony of Padua, Wonder-Worker and Evangelical Doctor, please pray for me.

St. Maria Faustina, Apostle of Divine Mercy, please pray for me.

St. Francis Xavier, Apostle to the Far East, please pray for me.

St. Francis de Sales, Gentleman Saint and noble Doctor of the Church, please pray for me.

St. Dominic, noble Founder of the Order of Preachers and zealous for the True Faith, please pray for me.

Blessed Guido, noble Founder of the Xaverian Missionaries, please pray for me.

St. Philomena, New Light of the Church Militant, please pray for me that my desired vocation to the Priesthood might be fulfilled.

St. Mary Magdalene, Contrite Sinner and Friend of Our Lord Jesus Christ, please pray for me that I might achieve physical, emotional and spiritual purity and grow in friendship to Jesus Christ, our God and our Refuge.

St. Leonard of Port Maurice, most pious Preacher and kind friend to Sinners, please pray for me that I might be granted the grace of final Salvation and forgiveness for my sins and transgressions.

St. Simon Stock, Venerable Carmelite and Friend of the Blessed Virgin Mary, please pray for me that Our Mother’s promise attached to the Brown Scapular might be fulfilled in me: that I should never suffer the fires and torments of Hell.

St. Dionysius of Athens, please pray for me that I might always be protected from the snares and wiles of the Devil and his demonic host.

St. John of Nepomuk, Martyr of the Confessional, please pray for me that all my Confessions might be valid, acquiring forgiveness for all sins and transgressions, and that I might have access to the Sacraments at the hour of my death.

St. Alphonsus Liguori, noble Founder of the Redemptorists, merciful and kind to Sinners and master theologian, please pray for me that I might be granted the grace to overcome and bear my Scrupulosity and be forgiven for intrusive thoughts and other weaknesses of a Scrupulous conscience.

St. Josemaria Escriva, noble Founder of Opus Dei, please pray for me that I might grow in faith, purity, holiness and God’s grace.

St. Michael the Archangel, Prince of the Church of Jesus Christ, please pray for me and protect me from all my enemies, both spiritual and temporal.

All Holy Saints and Angels, please pray for me to the Lord Our God.
(I probable will add more Saints to this soon)

Prayers to Saints, including to the BVM, are ultimately directed to God.  They are our heavenly advocates.  Notice in the prayers you have posted, they are asking God for you, they are not doing anything for you themselves.

I personally don't see a problem with this as long as one realizes that they are really prayers to God, albeit indirectly.  Though, certainly we should talk to God one-on-one at least once a day if not more often even if it is a simple Our Father.  He wants to hear from us, too.
nsper7 Wrote:Anyway, is it okay for our prayers to be primarily directed towards Saints?

I wouldn't do it. However, so long as you don't slip into polytheism or henotheism, so long as you keep first and foremost that you're only asking these people to pray for you, it should be okay.

See what some learned Christians at your church say, maybe ask your priest about it too.

Quote:St. Josemaria Escriva, noble Founder of Opus Dei

... whose group bank-rolled the Vatican in the 1980s and therefore had you put on the fast-track to canonization ...

Sorry, I couldn't resist. No offense to the holy founder of Opus Dei.
(07-27-2009, 12:45 AM)nsper7 Wrote: Currently, in my prayer life, much of my prayers are directed to Mother Mary (i.e. Devotion of the Three Hail Marys, Rosary, kissing of the Brown Scapular and now a prayer I composed asking Mother Mary to acquire grace, mercy and forgiveness for us). I also have a homemade litany of prayers to various Saints and Archangel Michael asking for their intercession (both in general and for specific things). Anyway, is it okay for our prayers to be primarily directed towards Saints?

The Rosary is a good prayer: it starts with the Apostolic Creed, reminding us to the pillars of our faith, it includes 6  Pater nosters, as the Lord taught as to pray, and it is meditation around the mysteries of our Lord.

The prayer should center around God, but for starting one can be attached to God through the Blessed Virgin and the Saints, if the main goal is not the eartly success or resolving earthly problems, but to be attached to God.