How Would You Act as Pope?
(07-27-2009, 06:59 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Archie, you forgot:

8. I'd start wearing fashionable wigs 'neath my zucchetto and decree its continued use by my successors in perpetuity, the Quo Primum of papal wiggery if you will. 

Always glad to help.   :tiphat:

Doc..... you are the man today. I'll extend the requirement to all cardinals, and all bishops, who must wear them when coming for their regular visit to Rome every five years or whatever. I also want to reinstate the episcopal blue garments. Those are friggin' awesome.

StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:I don't know much about a day in the life of the Pope, but if I were the Head Fisherman I would definitely expunge from Catholic memory the hideous papal tiara.

I believe some papal crowns are actually nice, though I agree many are also ugly.

Additional thoughts to add to my prior list:

9.) Force revisions of all the vernacular translations for the liturgy for greater accuracy and literary value. I don't care if I have to lock the translators up in a room at gunpoint (halberd-point, most likely), but it will happen. I'll also assign some of the greatest poets in the world in their respective languages to ensure that the value of their work meets the timelessness of, say, the Book of Common Prayer or the King James Bible.

10.) As Pope, I'll be recognized and loved in the secular media as the world's greatest patron of the arts and sciences. I intend to pick up where the great architect Augustus Pugin left off and fund a third wave of Gothic revival, with my own suggestions for improvement. There is much good that can be accomplished, especially in this world which so values "progress", when the Church is responsible for the next series of great feats in art, architecture, technology, etc. These are all good things which can be directed toward a greater good: recognition of God's greatness, and subsequently, right worship of our Creator.

11.) The Celestine years will be marked by a streak of Anglophilia. The use of Norman Gothic vestments and music by Tallis and Byrd at the Sistine Chapel; promoting the cults of saints such as George, Thomas Becket, Thomas More, and John Fisher; multiple pilgrimages to Canterbury and Walsingham; perhaps a few addresses to Parliament. One of my goals would be to have a solemn papal Mass celebrated in the halls of Westminster Abbey. England was once known as "Our Lady's Dowry", and can be once again.

12.) I'm not a SSPX'er, but that's something I feel needs to be resolved in order for the traditional movement to make significant advances. I would summon (not "invite"; summon) all four bishops of the Society to court and have extremely frank discussions, and not let them leave until an agreement was reached. I personally wouldn't feel threatened by criticisms of my views by their priests, and there is something to be said for a loyal opposition; so any meeting would most likely result in my granting them complete faculties or whatever they need.
(07-27-2009, 07:57 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:I don't know much about a day in the life of the Pope, but if I were the Head Fisherman I would definitely expunge from Catholic memory the hideous papal tiara.

I believe some papal crowns are actually nice, though I agree many are also ugly.

I was thinking mainly of the beehive one.
I'd call for an Inquisition of the Church to examine the entire Church to make sure no heresy is being taught and give those doing wrong time to fix their errors before being...handled.

I'd also remove pagan influences on the Church and require all clergy to not be vain in their appearances and be as God made them.

I'd expect to be assassinated before that was done, so I'd not plan ahead that far.
(07-27-2009, 08:24 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I'd call for an Inquisition of the Church to examine the entire Church to make sure no heresy is being taught and give those doing wrong time to fix their errors before being...handled.

I'd also remove pagan influences on the Church and require all clergy to not be vain in their appearances and be as God made them.

I'd expect to be assassinated before that was done, so I'd not plan ahead that far.

LOL, the cardinals would probably elect me right after you get killed just to do the opposite, so it works out in the end.
What would I do if I were pope?

Hmmm....I would be lying if I said that I haven't entertained that notion before, as would most other traditionalists.  But honestly I would not want the job -- I am not nearly worthy to hold such an office.

Anyway, for the sake of the post, I will entertain the notion.

1)  I WOULD be crowned with the papal tiara, reinstating the symbolic lost authority of the Holy Pontiff.

2)  I would issue a Bull declaring in plain and bold language exactly what it means to be a Roman Catholic, and exactly what has to be accepted de fide.

3)  After the issuing of the first Bull I would issue another one promptly afterward, condemning the errors of the modern world and the abuses within the Church.  I would condemn receiving Communion in the hand; condemn anyone other than a priest (or deacon on occasions) to administer Holy Communion; female altar servers would be condemned; women reading and speaking in church would be condemned; false ecumenism would be condemned in a most vehement fashion; Freemasonry and communism would be condemned harshly; the "Charismatic" movement would be condemned.  Medjugorje would be condemned as a false apparition.   And last but not least, the Novus Ordo Mass would be totally made null and void and the Traditional Latin Mass, the Mass of All-Time, would be re-installed and once again be given the full force of law, proving that it was never to be suspended.  Many anathemas would be decreed.

After this I would be assassinated by the liberals...
Like I said, I would not eliminate Papal protocol, merely modify it to suit my needs. I would try to promote the spiritual Fatherhood of the Holy Father and that is why I would prefer greeting people with a good, but slightly formalized, handshake and either kissing the person's cheeks, hugging them or just a polite mutual bow.

While I would do my best to be polite, loving, nice and humble and willing to listen to the advice of others, I would brook no crap, especially from the liberals, but also the uber-traditionalists (like SSPX). I would have no problem issuing excommunications and interdicts against those who say they are Catholics, but openly disagree with Church doctrine. Any Pro-Abortion politician would be denied Communion and under interdict until they recant their views publicly. Any Seminary that was teaching heretical doctrine would lose funding and permission to claim itself as a Catholic institution until they recanted of their heretical teachings. Restoration of orthodoxy and orthopraxy would be key goals here.

For my Papal name, I'd either use:

A) Julius IV (my paternal grandfather, whom I loved dearly, was named Julius and it would be kind of funny, since he was Jewish...can't you see it: "Pope Adopts Name of Jewish Grandfather")
B) Moses I (like the "original" Moses, I'd be wanting to be help guide the Church and its people to its Promised Land)
C) Pius XIII (let's face it, that's a good name for a Traditional Pope)

I would revise the Mass of Paul VI to try and tighten up the rubrics and lessen the ability of people to commit liturgical abuse. I would also promote the use of the Tridentine Latin Mass, promoting training clergy in both Forms. I would cease using the terms OF and EF. I would want both concurrently viewed as "Ordinary", so you'd have the OF/NO and the OF/TLM and both equally as valid and important and both playing a key role liturgically.

I would promote vocations extremely, restoring the almost Pre-Vatican 2 view that, while Marriage is good, Holy Orders/consecrated life is better. Perhaps, in my new Papal protocol, I would acknowledge that. For example, any clergy/Brother/Sister I met, I would bow politely as one acknowledging that they are to be lauded for wholly devoting their life to the Church or personally kissing the hands of Priests since it is through their hands that the Eucharist is consecrated. While some might balk, my goal in this would be show to that the hands that there is no greater duty and privilege than to consecrate and celebrate the Eucharist and that those blessed hands which consecrate and hold the Sacred Host are worthy of great respect. I would restore the use of the general use of the Minor Orders. I would create a committee to look into whether women can be granted such Minor Orders and possibly instituted as Sub-Deacons (I would do that a lot...creating committees to examine various issues so that things can be resolved).

I would create a lot of Pontifical Commissions to examine the "reforms" of the Post-Vatican 2 era (i.e. Communion in the Hand, EMHCs, continued "false" ecumenism, etc.) to determine if any significant changes are to be made on these issues or, even if no action needs to be taken, should they re-viewed and discussed in a better fashion. I would definitely travel a lot, but using modern communication techniques, I would always make sure I kept in contact with everything. I would hold many meetings to discuss various Church issues, preferring to lead by consensus and promote cooperation in Church governance.

EDIT: One other thing: my Inauguration (not a Coronation) would be extremely low-key, although tasteful.

And I would definitely, for Daily Dress, do what I said: black simar/cassock with white piping and sash and zuccheto.
About a name, it would be Samson. Samson II would not fit because there was no previous pope named Samson.
nsper7, I suspect your committee would recommend that the sub-diaconate be restricted to sorority girls only. 

Just sayin.
(07-27-2009, 09:44 PM)DrBombay Wrote: nsper7, I suspect your committee would recommend that the sub-diaconate be restricted to sorority girls only. 

Just sayin.

LOL!  :fish:

But no, I would be way over that fixation by this point.
I would take the name Aloysius, in honour of my favourite saint. No Pope Aloysius yet.