How Would You Act as Pope?
(07-28-2009, 02:37 PM)NonSumDignus Wrote: 6) I would really encourage the growth of the Eastern Rites. In Greece, only the Greek Catholic Rite would be allowed; in Russia, the Russian; etc. As opposed to having the Latin Rite prevalent even in traditionally Eastern Rite countries

Only?!

So...the Eastern Rites would not be allowed in areas where the Latin rite is used?
I would also have a Papal Commission re-examine Apostolicae Curiae and the issue of Anglican Holy Orders and their validity. Obviously, women can NEVER possess valid Holy Orders, there have also been co-consecrations involving Eastern Orthodox, Old Catholic, etc. groups whose Apostolic Succession we recognize as valid. It would require an in-depth tracing of things since there is the 'female Bishop' problem in Anglicanism.

It really would be my goal to get the Orthodox and the Anglo-Catholic Anglicans to enter full-communion. I would speed up the entering of the Traditional Anglical Communion and "continuing Anglican movements" into full-communion with Rome. I would adopt the Anglican Use Rite as a full and proper Rite (perhaps it would be the new EF as it were since I would deem both the Mass of Pope Paul VI and the TLM as both Ordinary Forms of the Mass). I would probably make the head of TAC a Major Archbishop (I would basically declare the historical position of Archbishop of Canterbury to be the new Patriarch of All England; however, it remains empty until the Archbishop of Canterbury enters into full communion with Rome).

With both the Orthodox and Anglicans, I would try to compromise and give in as much as I could without actually violating Church doctrine (i.e. Vatican 1 and Papal Infallibility).
(07-28-2009, 02:53 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I would also have a Papal Commission re-examine Apostolicae Curiae and the issue of Anglican Holy Orders and their validity. Obviously, women can NEVER possess valid Holy Orders, there have also been co-consecrations involving Eastern Orthodox, Old Catholic, etc. groups whose Apostolic Succession we recognize as valid. It would require an in-depth tracing of things since there is the 'female Bishop' problem in Anglicanism.

It really would be my goal to get the Orthodox and the Anglo-Catholic Anglicans to enter full-communion. I would speed up the entering of the Traditional Anglical Communion and "continuing Anglican movements" into full-communion with Rome. I would adopt the Anglican Use Rite as a full and proper Rite (perhaps it would be the new EF as it were since I would deem both the Mass of Pope Paul VI and the TLM as both Ordinary Forms of the Mass). I would probably make the head of TAC a Major Archbishop (I would basically declare the historical position of Archbishop of Canterbury to be the new Patriarch of All England; however, it remains empty until the Archbishop of Canterbury enters into full communion with Rome).

With both the Orthodox and Anglicans, I would try to compromise and give in as much as I could without actually violating Church doctrine (i.e. Vatican 1 and Papal Infallibility).

Why?
nsper7, I think we can all agree that it is a good thing you aren't pope.  Maybe you ought to focus on becoming a priest first.  Your perspective might change somewhat over the next 6 - 8 years. 
(07-28-2009, 02:56 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 02:53 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I would also have a Papal Commission re-examine Apostolicae Curiae and the issue of Anglican Holy Orders and their validity. Obviously, women can NEVER possess valid Holy Orders, there have also been co-consecrations involving Eastern Orthodox, Old Catholic, etc. groups whose Apostolic Succession we recognize as valid. It would require an in-depth tracing of things since there is the 'female Bishop' problem in Anglicanism.

Why?

Because I want to see a true unity between East and West, as well with the Anglo-Catholics. In the end, there would probably not be a lot of major compromises I could make (after all, I don't think I could give them an 'indult' so that they can re-enter full communion with Rome, but not adhere to certain doctrines like Papal Infallibility), but by basically humbling myself and showing them that I do desire reunification, perhaps I could personally convince them that we Popes are not so scary or anything. I am thinking a letter of apology to both the Orthodox and Anglican leaders, as well as lots of gits (I think one reason I might decide to be crowned with a Papal Tiara is because I could grant as a personal gift of goodwill to the Ecumenical Patriarch) and lots of written promises and treaties guaranteeing their autonomy and that neither I nor future Popes will abuse our authority MIGHT get them to rejoin.
(07-28-2009, 02:59 PM)DrBombay Wrote: nsper7, I think we can all agree that it is a good thing you aren't pope.  Maybe you ought to focus on becoming a priest first.  Your perspective might change somewhat over the next 6 - 8 years. 

LOL. Yeah, let's face it, probably none of us will be Pope. But why would I make a bad Pope? I would try my hardest to serve the Church to the best of my ability.
(07-28-2009, 03:03 PM)nsper7 Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 02:59 PM)DrBombay Wrote: nsper7, I think we can all agree that it is a good thing you aren't pope.  Maybe you ought to focus on becoming a priest first.  Your perspective might change somewhat over the next 6 - 8 years. 

LOL. Yeah, let's face it, probably none of us will be Pope. But why would I make a bad Pope? I would try my hardest to serve the Church to the best of my ability.

"compromise"
(07-28-2009, 03:05 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 03:03 PM)nsper7 Wrote:

"compromise"

Compromise is not always bad. It is only bad if you compromise on key issues (i.e. doctrine, dogma). Like I said, in the end, Anglo-Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox would have to be somehow convinced to accept Papal Infallibility.
(07-28-2009, 03:02 PM)nsper7 Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 02:56 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:

Why?

Because I want to see a true unity between East and West, as well with the Anglo-Catholics. In the end, there would probably not be a lot of major compromises I could make (after all, I don't think I could give them an 'indult' so that they can re-enter full communion with Rome, but not adhere to certain doctrines like Papal Infallibility), but by basically humbling myself and showing them that I do desire reunification, perhaps I could personally convince them that we Popes are not so scary or anything. I am thinking a letter of apology to both the Orthodox and Anglican leaders, as well as lots of gits (I think one reason I might decide to be crowned with a Papal Tiara is because I could grant as a personal gift of goodwill to the Ecumenical Patriarch) and lots of written promises and treaties guaranteeing their autonomy and that neither I nor future Popes will abuse our authority MIGHT get them to rejoin.

Is it true unity if you have to sell the shop to get them to enter?  

And, as to humbling yourself...  You'd humble yourself to the schismatics, but you would inflate yourself with the Catholics?  Which is more humbling:
Kissing the ring, a symbol of your office
or hugging the person?

Kissing, of course, for the person kissing, and the officeholder receiving.  The officeholder merely presents the ring, and is overtaken, as it were, by the presentation of it, whereas hugging involves *you*.

What's the point in the Pope being first among equals if the other groups are autonomous?  
(07-28-2009, 03:03 PM)nsper7 Wrote: But why would I make a bad Pope? I would try my hardest to serve the Church to the best of my ability.

Because you are naive, lad.  And woefully ignorant of theology, philosophy, Church history, Canon law, liturgy, international protocol, office politics, sexual dynamics, pastoral considerations, the meaning of scandal and tact, among other things.  That's why.   :tiphat: