How Would You Act as Pope?
(07-28-2009, 10:26 PM)nsper7 Wrote: BTW- I sometimes worry (Scrupulous) that these kinds of conversations and wondering what it would be like to be Pope and stuff are sinful. What say you?
I don't think it is sinful. It is mostly discussing our views on the Church's situation and using a hypothetical situation to show our views.

Quote:Sorry if I said stuff that offended you and others, but I really would like to reunification between the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox.
It didn't offend, but I don't think you quite understand the situations, and have too much hope without reason. Keep in mind free will exists and however regrettable it is, some choose evil.
(07-28-2009, 10:27 PM)nsper7 Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 10:25 PM)veritatem_dilexisti Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 10:21 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I get up from where I am sitting and go and kneel before the Ecumenical Patriarch, "Your All Holiness, I wish I could somehow nullify Papal Infallibity and Supremacy to show you how much I want to see full communion restored between the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox, but I cannot do that, I cannot violate doctrine. Please, look past those doctrine, look past our failings, and work with me to restore the True Church to unity," then kiss the Ecumenical Patriarch's ring and remain prostrate before the Ecumenical Patriarch. And obviously, perhaps at the beginning of the meeting, I would have presented my Papal Tiara that I was crowned in (one of the few reasons I might do a Papal Coronation: that Tiara would make an excellent goodwill offering).

How could the Ecumenical Patriarch refuse at that point?

I wish that I could find a more charitable way to say this, but the passage that I have highlighted in bold simply sickens me to the guts. Do you not love Truth?

Well, you didn't read the whole passage. That kind of statement would obviously be more than a little hyperbolic. Obviously, doctrine/dogma cannot be changed and I admit that even there.

I did read the whole passage, but I simply cannot fathom that a Catholic would say such a thing as: "I wish that I could somehow nullify the revelation of Truth that God has made to His Church."
(07-28-2009, 10:21 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I think that the way to win over the Eastern Orthodox and Anglo-Catholics is to be obsequious, maybe even apologetic. For example, let's say I meet with the Ecumenical Patriarch and let us assume that he is orthodox except for rejecting Papal Infallibility/Supremacy. He keeps refusing to budge on the issue and I finally do this:

I get up from where I am sitting and go and kneel before the Ecumenical Patriarch, "Your All Holiness, I wish I could somehow nullify Papal Infallibity and Supremacy to show you how much I want to see full communion restored between the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox, but I cannot do that, I cannot violate doctrine. Please, look past those doctrine, look past our failings, and work with me to restore the True Church to unity," then kiss the Ecumenical Patriarch's ring and remain prostrate before the Ecumenical Patriarch. And obviously, perhaps at the beginning of the meeting, I would have presented my Papal Tiara that I was crowned in (one of the few reasons I might do a Papal Coronation: that Tiara would make an excellent goodwill offering).

How could the Ecumenical Patriarch refuse at that point?

Add in crawling naked over broken glass to him. 

Seriously, this sounds like something a very naive young woman would think of as the solution.  No man is going to look down at a groveling, sniveling loser of a pope and be moved to end a thousand-year schism.  It would probably be all he could do not to kick your be-cassocked butt.
When the Muslim clerics come would you say, "I wish I could somehow nullify our Trinitarian beliefs and allow for the possibility that we totally got it wrong for 600 years, but please, accept my plea for reunification?"

Maybe a little more extreme, but you get the idea. Unification will  only happen when others admit they were wrong, not us. If we admit we're wrong, then our religion was false through and through and wasn't worth following in the first place.

The idea that religions could meet halfway is dangerous; the Israelites thought they could worship the calf and God.
(07-28-2009, 05:21 PM)nsper7 Wrote: You act as though I am not a Traditional Catholic. I am currently looking into either joining the ICKSP or the Canons-Regular of St. John Cantius (a small Trad group in the upper midwest).

As someone pursuing a vocation (having delayed for far too long), probably a bit older, and at least a bit more experienced, permit me to provide a few points of advice.

If you're wasting your time here imagining yourself as the Pope and how you'd "fix it all" and how hard you'd work, then you're not ready to consider the priesthood, which is about self-denial and sacrifice.

At best such discussion as "What'd I do if I were Pope" is meaningless gobbledygook. At worst its ego-stroking self-aggrandizement, which is not only possibly sinful, but a dangerous attitude if you think you may be called to a life of sacrifice.

You cannot have this romantic view of what the Priesthood, or you will find yourself having abandoned your vocation.

If you are serious about pursuing a vocation, then you need to be constantly asking yourself if the things you are doing are getting you closer to that goal, or if those things are getting in your way. It is not a question of sin, but of propriety. Is what you're doing getting you where you need to go. If it's not, you ought not do it. A silly thread like this is not getting you closer to that goal.

If you're not serious about pursuing a vocation, then either get serious or drop the idea.
I agree with your general idea, Magister, although in my opinion, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with aspiring to the Papacy, anymore than, say, aspiring to the priesthood without having yet reached the diaconate. It's certainly possible to have a calling to the throne of Peter, however unlikely.