Pope defrocks priest over 'visions' at Medjugorje
The Pope himself banned people from making pilgrimages there; the disobedience of those who still go to Medjugorje is appalling. I guess it's a natural progression, though...first you disobey your priests, then your bishops, and finally the Holy Father.
    I don't understand it. 
      :pray2:
(07-27-2009, 05:49 PM)Munda_cor_meum Wrote: The Pope himself banned people from making pilgrimages there; the disobedience of those who still go to Medjugorje is appalling. I guess it's a natural progression, though...first you disobey your priests, then your bishops, and finally the Holy Father.
    I don't understand it. 
      :pray2:

Actually the the Pope did not ban personal pilgrimages to Medj., just piligrimages sponsered by a parish or official Catholic group.

I posted this on another site:

Here's an interesting read:

http://www.cbismo.com/index.php?mod=vijest&vijest=219

As if we don’t have more important Church issues to deal with in these difficult times and as if there don’t exist more pressing social issues that require our attention in this country, amongst our people and in this region, than the spreading of unfounded, incoherent news and contradictory statements on the phenomenon which was already in 1991 theologically and authoritatively resolved at the level of the Bishops’ Conference which declared: On the basis of comprehensive investigations on the entire phenomenon of Medjugorje – to this day – there has been no valid proof that these events concern supernatural apparitions or revelations!
Don Ante Luburić, Chancellor
Diocesan Chancery Office

I still do not understand how people can believe this hoax.
I'd also like to see another source.  I believe that the article is correct in reporting that the said priest has left (or been removed from) the priesthood, however, I don't necessarily believe the reason for his defrocking was related directly to the visions at Medjugorje.  The article also mentioned allegations of sexual immorality and refusal to participate with a Vatican investigation (either of of which could lead to defrocking).  The article is also not consistent.  The second last paragraph said "he as chosen to leave the priesthood and his order".  A priest requesting laicization is quite different than the Vatican throwing the hammer down upon him.  The last paragraph also is not relevant to the particular case, and shows the author's inherent bias.

Personally, I do not believe the apparitions of Medjugorje and would probably agree with the author's claims.  However, if we're going to get excited about this article and spread the word around, then we better have accurate information.  If the information is inaccurate, and he left willingly, then its possible that the Vatican won't explicitly condemn Medjugorje anytime soon.
The Daily Telegraph Wrote:Pope Benedict XVI unfrocks Medjugorje priest

Father Tomislav Vlasic, the priest who helped to turn the Bosnian town of Medjugorje into one of the Catholic Church's most visited shrines, has left the priesthood after being placed under investigation by the Vatican.

By Simon Caldwell
Published: 8:00AM BST 27 Jul 2009

Father Tomislav Vlasic, the former "spiritual director" to six visionaries who claim that the Virgin Mary visited them nearly 40,000 times over 28 years, has been laicised by Pope Benedict XVI a year after he was placed under investigation over allegations that he exaggerated the apparitions and had engaged in sexual relations with a nun.

While the Vatican has never given the shrione its formal blessing, an estimated 30 million pilgrims have visited Medjugorje in the last three decades and hundreds of thousands make the journey from Britain and Ireland each year. The unfrocking of Father Vlasic will come as a blow to Medjugorje followers worldwide who were hoping that the Vatican would one day legitimise the controversial shrine.

The Franciscan asked to leave the priesthood after the Vatican launched an investigation into allegations that he was guilty of sexual immorality with a nun which he then covered up.

He was also suspected of exagerating stories of the Virgin Mary's appearance and under formal investigation for alleged "dubious doctrine, the manipulation of consciences, suspect mysticism and disobedience towards legitimately issued orders".

Father Vlasic refused to co-operate with the investigation from the outset and he was banished to a monastery in L'Aquila, Italy, where he was forbidden to communicate with anyone, even his lawyers, without the permission of his superior. He has not commented on the allegations but told the Vatican that he felt wronged given he had turned Medjugorje into an international shrine and generated funds to build new churches.

It emerged on Sunday that he has chosen to leave the priesthood and his order, a move which has brought the investigation to an abrupt halt.

But the Pope has insisted that Father Vlasic observes a set of conditions on pain of excommunication which include a total ban on teaching Christian doctrine and giving spiritual direction.

There is also an "absolute prohibition of releasing declarations on religious matters, especially regarding the phenomenon of Medjugorje".

Okay, I answered my own question, and found another article (which I think is of higher quality).  However, its apparently written by the same author.  If anyone can find another article it'd be much appreciated.
There's a huge headline and a link to another article on the front page of http://newadvent.org/
Typical shoddy editing.

Writers don't typically write their own headlines, usually, an news editor or copy editor summarizes the article, but both the writer and the editor here got it wrong.

Quote:The Vatican stripped Father Tomislav Vladic of his priest status after an investigation into growing concerns over the alleged apparitions.

Incorrect, or at least it makes it sound as if the investigation was finished and the punishment was to be defrocked. There are only a few crimes that require a priest leave the clerical state, and he did not commit any of these it seems. Later in the article the writer says that the priest himself decided to leave and requested to be laicised. So, the lede is misleading.

The headline of the Daily Mail article (which I assume is the title for this thread) is also incorrect, because the priest was not reduced to the lay state because of his behavior, but because he appealed to the Pope to be reduced.
From a Catholic source: http://catholiclight.stblogs.org/archive...-bomb.html
News Briefs
Former Medjugorje pastor laicized, dismissed from Franciscans
July 27, 2009
A former pastor who helped make the little town of Medjugorje gain international fame for a series of alleged Marian apparitions has been removed from the priesthood and dismissed from the Franciscan order.

Pope Benedict XVI approved the laicization of Tomislav Vlasic a year after a Vatican decree placing the former friar under interdict because of "suspicion of heresy and schism, as well as scandalous acts contra sextum, aggravated by mystical motivations." The controversial priest-- who had already broken with the Medjugorje "seers"-- had defied local bishops and Franciscan superiors in setting up his own religious community.

Father José Rodriguez Carballo, the minister general of the Franciscans, announced that Vlasic had also been dismissed from that order. The terms of Vlasic's laicization, he revealed, bar him from engaging in any public ministry or making pronouncements about any religious subject (including the alleged apparitions) under pain of excommunication.
I also found the text of this document interesting, from http://catholiclight.stblogs.org/archive...-bomb.html
"ORDO FRATRUM MINORUM
MINISTER GENERALIS

Prot. N. 098714

To the Provincial Ministers of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, and Italy

Dear Brother Minister,

The Holy Father, accepting the request of friar Tomislav Vlasic, O.F.M, member of the province of friars minor of St. Bernardino of Siena (L'Aquila), responsible for conduct harmful to ecclesial communion both in the spheres of doctrine and discipline, and under a censure of interdict, has granted him the favor of reduction to the lay state (amissio status clericalis) and of dismissal from the Order.

In addition, the Holy Father has granted the petitioner, motu proprio, the remission of the censure incurred as well as the favor of dispensation from religious vows and from all the responsibilities connected with sacred ordination, including celibacy.

As a salutary penal precept - under the pain of excommunication which the Holy See would declare, and if necessary, without prior canonical warning - the following precepts are imposed on Mr. Tomislav Vlasic:

a) Absolute prohibition from exercising any form of apostolate (for example, promoting public or private devotion, teaching Christian doctrine, spiritual direction, participation in lay associations, etc.) as well as of acquiring and administering goods intended for pious purposes;
b) Absolute prohibition from releasing declarations on religious matters, especially regarding the "phenomenon of Medjugorje";
c) Absolute prohibition from residing in houses of the Order of Friars Minor.

For the execution of the serious measures imposed by the Holy See regarding Mr. Tomislav Vlasic, the same Apostolic See calls directly on the Superiors of the Order.

Therefore I turn to you, so that you make sure to instruct the Guardians and superiors of friaries about full compliance, by Tomislav Vlasic, with the pontifical measures regarding him, in particular relative to the prohibition of residing in any houses belonging to the Order of Friars Minor, under pain of removal from office.

Trusting in your full understanding and prompt cooperation, I greet you fraternally.
Rome, 10 March 2009.

Fr. José Rodriguez Carballo, Ofm
Minister General"
To bad the Medjagoogoos wont stop. That thing is a major cult. I had a guy once give a Medjegore(SP) rosary that was blessed by this very Priest and the dude was all starry eyed like he was passing out Holy relics. I said that the Vatican was against this. And was told that the vatican is wrong. It wont stop unless that place is bombed.
Not to promote Medjugorje...
but

the headline is misleading. This former priest had been doing his own thing for a long time.