Sweets
(08-05-2009, 09:10 AM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: Or you could do it the Twinkie way, though it may not work on such a big and deep cake.

What's the Twinkie Way? Sounds like a junk food galaxy.
A cream cake galaxy of wonder and sweetness!

They take big ol' injectors and push the fluffy filling into already-baked Twinkies.  I believe they use three separate holes.

A bundt cake is probably too big, and pudding probably too dense. 

This reminds me that I used to make Twinkie-misu with twinkies, cream cheese (couldn't find marscapone) and either vanilla yogurt or pudding, coffee liquer, and chocolate shavings on top.

Yum.
(08-05-2009, 11:54 AM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: A cream cake galaxy of wonder and sweetness!

They take big ol' injectors and push the fluffy filling into already-baked Twinkies.  I believe they use three separate holes.

A bundt cake is probably too big, and pudding probably too dense. 

This reminds me that I used to make Twinkie-misu with twinkies, cream cheese (couldn't find marscapone) and either vanilla yogurt or pudding, coffee liquer, and chocolate shavings on top.

Yum.

Like a trifle, sort of?

But I wouldn't use Twinkies for something like that. Really, I just don't think they're as good as they were when I was little -- cake's tougher, cream filling's not as good. I prefer the Little Debbie version -- golden fingers, or whatever they're called.

The base for the strawberry shortcake I just made tasted very much like a high-quality Twinkie.
Little Debbie-misu doesn't quite have the same cachet---but yeah.  Whatever dessert cakelet you can find.

Also works as a variation of nanner pudding---slice the cream cakes, line a bowl with them, pour in the nilla pudding, slice the nanners on top.
(08-05-2009, 12:41 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: Little Debbie-misu doesn't quite have the same cachet---but yeah.  Whatever dessert cakelet you can find.

Also works as a variation of nanner pudding---slice the cream cakes, line a bowl with them, pour in the nilla pudding, slice the nanners on top.

Is this related to tiramisu? I do enjoy tiramisu, especially at the Olive Garden restaurants. I guess Little Debbies would be ok in that, who knows.
*groans*

I used to have the recipe onlone, because a friend requested it, but I can't find it now on my 'puter.  I know I still have a printed copy somewhere, but warm weather makes me neglect desserts apart from ice cream.

I cobbled the Twinkie-misu together after seeing a show featuring Twinkies: their history and use.  There was a restaurant serving Twinkie-misu and all I caught was a glimpse of the dish.

So basically I just started by looking at recipes for tiramisu and just substituted Twinkies for the ladyfingers.  Then, because I couldn't find marscapone cheese, I mixed whipped cream cheese and vanilla yogurt or pudding or something to pour over it.

Chocolate shavings are fairly self-explanatory.  :laughing:
Remember, Gie2me, you can move in and eat my desserts as long as you play with my baby all day.

I guess part of the point of making a Twinkie trifle is to be able to say you made it with Twinkies -- Little Debbie cakes don't have that same cachet. Well-known, loved by all, slightly trashy. I would assume a big part of the fun is using trash-food in an elegant dessert. Okay. I get it. And it sounds delicious! Twinkies are lots better than ladyfingers.
Yeah, you get double the cream---inside as well as on top.

As I've mentioned, I am not so motivated to make desserts in the summer.  Desserts always mean baking.  But now that I've thought of Twinkie-misu again...

What other non-making-kitchen-hot recipes are there?
(08-05-2009, 02:23 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: Yeah, you get double the cream---inside as well as on top.

As I've mentioned, I am not so motivated to make desserts in the summer.  Desserts always mean baking.  But now that I've thought of Twinkie-misu again...

Waaall, you could make summer pudding. I posted the recipe for that elsewhere. Basically it's very good white bread -- crusts removed -- with berries whose juices have completely saturated it, served with whipped cream. You could also make a peanut butter pie with a graham cracker crust.
(08-05-2009, 07:37 PM)Satori Wrote:
(08-05-2009, 02:23 PM)JaganshiKenshin Wrote: Yeah, you get double the cream---inside as well as on top.

Waaall, you could make summer pudding. I posted the recipe for that elsewhere. Basically it's very good white bread -- crusts removed -- with berries whose juices have completely saturated it, served with whipped cream. You could also make a peanut butter pie with a graham cracker crust.

I wish someone would make me a very large reeses peanut butter pie for my birthday in September. I love peanut butter and when frozen reeses peanut butter cups are addictive.